SootEater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Hey Yall,

Got me the sooteater today, it should arrive by Friday of this week. I recently looked up the pipe and it looks decent. I took off the 4 ft double wall insulated pipe and gave it a good brush. I hope to be using the sooteater this weekend for the rest of the 20ft of Class A. got it for $49 dollars pls 7 shipping.

Works well but it's a real PITA to detach the rods from each other.

I got one and used it yesterday for the first time. No problems, worked just as advertised.

run ur drill at half speed

NATE379 said:

I agree.

I did kind of get the hang of it. Push pin and twist rod and it pulled out pretty well. But it was still hard at times.

NATE379 said:

I thought the same thing but would rather it be a bit tough than have some faulty connection that broke apart in the stack :ahhh:

Still on the fence if I should buy one or just buy a ladder and some brushes. My 3 story roof scares me alittle. We've had a sweep come out twice ($100 each time) and from what my wife described - he cleaned from the bottom up too - I wonder if he was using a sooteater? He knocked my cap off - so he still had to go up and inspect and put it back on!

I can buy 2 kits for $ 100 total and get alot done with them.

Aught to be able to use a regular brush bottom up as well. That is how my brother cleans his out. Chimney is around 35feet from top to bottom. Standard brick chimney though, class A chimney not used much in Maine... that is referred to as "trailer" chimney as in a cheap chimeny for use in a trailer house.

basswidow said:
Still on the fence if I should buy one or just buy a ladder and some brushes. My 3 story roof scares me alittle. We've had a sweep come out twice ($100 each time) and from what my wife described - he cleaned from the bottom up too - I wonder if he was using a sooteater? He knocked my cap off - so he still had to go up and inspect and put it back on!

I can buy 2 kits for $ 100 total and get alot done with them.

I thought the same thing but you know what, i got it for under 60 bucks shipped, there aint no way in hell i am going to be climbing the roof in NY winter with snow or ice on the roof or climbing a latter. If i fall from up there its a wrap for me so Id rather pay the 60. Still beats paying a chimney sweep for $150, at least now I will only need inspections.

So the sooteater came in today and I wasted no time and got right to work. It took me about 20 minutes to clean the pipe from the cleanout on the outside. Disconnecting the rods can be a bit of a pain but I got my son to pull while I press the release button. Nice father and son project.

My chimney is about as easy as they get. I have a brick chimney with a stainless liner, no bends, and a one story house. I bought a poly brush and an adapter with the plan of borrowing a set of rods. Well, the adapter didn't fit the rods I had access to so I ordered the sooteater kit. The guys at the stove shop have treated me really well from purchase, to install, to giving me a refund on a brush and adapter that I lost the receipt for. At least cleaning from the inside I can do it whenever I want and not have to wait for a dry day.

Status
Not open for further replies.