1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Sounding wood MC by knocking, but wait..

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by CarbonNeutral, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarbonNeutral

CarbonNeutral Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
    So, first year of real burning - 6+ cords of wood, some dry, some not.

During collecting this wood from 20+ places, some got mixed in and now I have a cluster^%^ of 2-3 cords of wood (mostly maple) that I need to sort as I'll be short this year. I can't split every piece and test it with my moisture meter.

So, I'm doing the knocking thing - if it rings, it's dry, thuds, wet - once in a while I'll test - maybe I'm right 65% of the time.

So here's the question. presumably I should knock the piece I'm testing with a wet piece because:

Dry/test: who knows which one is ringing?
    Wet/test: if it rings, then then the test must be dry

Yes, no? Shut up and burn it all?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    Does a dry piece make the diagnostic ringing tone when knocked against a wet piece? Maybe you need one of those mallets used to play a xylophone.
  3. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I imagine if you start off with a known dry piece in one had and smack it with an unknown piece you should do just fine. A wet and dry piece shouldn't ring.

Matt
  4. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    An ocasional wet piece will burn any way. It will dry in the stove and then burn.
  5. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    knock it on your head and tell me what you hear.

seriously, though. If you have a stack of seasoning wood, check a few with your moisture meter. I imagine you aren't pulling each piece off of the stack during the winter and testing before you bring it in. at the point the wood starts coming in during the winter it all gets burned, even if it's a soggy piece mixed in with the dry. I ain't standing out in the 0 degree weather checking each split. If I had a moisture meter I'd check stuff in late november and then just burn away. It's kinda like a 401K lately. You are only gonna make yourself worry by checking, just toss the 401K statement (or firewood split) into the woodstove and hope it turns out ok.

PS, that advice is only good in the future, i know, but for now I'd just sort by the wood types and check a few of each of the types with the MM.
  6. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.