Source for 1.5" return boiler protection valve?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikefrommaine

I plan on piping my biomass 60 in 1.5"
Tried to order a danfoss valve from cozy heat, but was told it is no longer available in 1.5"
So I ordered a danfoss tv 466a from e-comfort. But instead they sent me a 511 valve in 1.25"
Still waiting on there customer service to respond to my complaint that they sent the wrong part. However I have a feeling they will tell me the 1.25" valve is all that is available.

I know that I can choke the return line down at the loading valve, however having the same size valve would be a cleaner install.

So does anyone know of source for an equivalent valve in 1.5"

Thanks

http://na.heating.danfoss.com/PCMPDF/ESBE_TV_instructions.pdf

Call this Danfoss tech and see if they can tell you where to get one.

I spoke with Bill and he was very helpful with info on proper placement.

410-513-1151

gg

There is a Tekmar unit available on pexsupply.com in 1.5". There may be others, I didn't look too closely.

I just bought a Danfoss 466a from a company in Canton, New York. $180. www.ecoheatonline.com He may have another in stock. Good luck.

Sorry about the late reply man. Just got back into the heating thing. And I just realized you posted this on the 14th. Sorry about that. How did you make out? Find one?

One of the components I'm going to get more knowledgeable about this season is the Danfoss in my system. I didn't really understand it's function my first season. But I will tell you that I have a ball valve on the hot input port to the Danfoss and I run it with the ball valve nearly closed. So from my experience the flow requirement for mixing must be MUCH smaller than a 1 1/2" port. But on the other hand, I would never restrict the cold return from the HX to anything less than 1 1/2". So.... never mind, get a 1 1/2".

Why do you need restriction at the ball valve? Doesn't the Danfoss do that on it's own? Good to have the ball valve there in case you ever have to replace the Danfoss, but hopefully that will be a long time from now. I am new to all this boiler stuff, I am use to burning in a wood stove. But, I can't wait to have the boiler heating everything, should save me more money and will now make the temps throughout the house and garage all regulated by thermostats. How do you like your gasifier?

Just spoke with ecomfort today. They found a 1.5" valve for me, apparently they are getting hard to find in 1.5"

I was told that a 1.25" valve in my 1.5" piping would be fine. Somethng about cv rating was high enough. But I did not want have the extra fittings if possible.

Gasifier said:
Why do you need restriction at the ball valve? Doesn't the Danfoss do that on it's own? Good to have the ball valve there in case you ever have to replace the Danfoss, but hopefully that will be a long time from now. I am new to all this boiler stuff, I am use to burning in a wood stove. But, I can't wait to have the boiler heating everything, should save me more money and will now make the temps throughout the house and garage all regulated by thermostats. How do you like your gasifier?

You should have a ball valve above the danfoss to be able to fine tune the flow through the valve.

Do you need a 1-1/4" valve? The valve is selected by the flow you want to move through it. An 1-1/4" with a Kv (Kv X 1.16 = Cv) of 12 has a Cv of 13.92.

A 60 KW boiler running 80% efficiency has an output of 163,000 BTU/ hr. You want to move 16 GPM for a 20 degree ∆t. So look for a valve with a Cv close to 16.

Here is a Cv sheet that allows you to determine the pressure drop through a valve or device at different flow rates. Take a 1-1/4" valve with a Cv of 13.92 and flow 16 GPM through it. The pressure drop is 1.32 psi.

hr

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-09-28 at 8.30.00 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-28 at 8.30.00 AM.png
    25 KB · Views: 208
  • Screen shot 2011-09-28 at 8.23.33 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-28 at 8.23.33 AM.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 197
Status
Not open for further replies.