SOYBEANS for heating??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsparkz

Jan 12, 2006
Does anyone know if soybeans are part of the laundry list of alternative heat sources like pellets, corn, cherry pits...???
I'm talking for heating not as bio diesel fuel.
If so any ideas how many BTU's/pound?

Soybeans are full of oil, so they should burn, but I am not able to find any information on them on the web. No manufacturer that I know has them recommended as biomass. Very interesting question. Another pre-pelletized fuel. Anybody got a stove, a handful of soybeans, and willing to try them, just for the heck of it?

Joshua

Hrmm...from what I read (been there, read about it, thought about it and decided to save the soybeans for the car)...they will burn when air dried, however, their moisture content has to be REALLY low...and they will soot pretty bad if not shelled and oil extracted.

give it a try outside in a firepit...they as well a coffee grounds will do wonders for starting a pit fire, but you will see the black smoke easily visible.

With our extensive research that we do on our Biomass/Corn burning products we analize most agricultural fuels for feasibility. Soy Beans have 10,230 BTU's per pound with 6.22% ash content with .33% sulfur. At 10.25% moisture they will produce 6924 BTU's per pound with 5.19% ash content producing .29% sulfur.
Soybeans burn rather dirty and will leave a oil film that can clog heat exchangers and venting. They are a rather expensive fuel compared to most agriculture fuel.
Mixing a small amount 2-5% with Corn will chemically help the combustion process and reduce clinkering. the soy bean needs to be as dry as possible to avoid dirty burning. A small tip, edible beans actually are an ideal fuel and can be purchased at a reasonable cost. Happy heating.

One of the guys at work burns a corn/pellet mixture and the farmer that he gets the corn from asked him about the soybeans. He got a bag of beans from him and asked me if I had ever heard of it and although I never had I wondered why?? He said he was going to try adding some tonight to his burnpot and see what happens. I'll update if he does.

ROFL

The Tofu Stove

Your gonna drive up the cost of soybeans and have a bunch of pissed off Vegans tring to shut down the wood stove industry.

Magnum Corn Man said:
With our extensive research that we do on our Biomass/Corn burning products we analize most agricultural fuels for feasibility. Soy Beans have 10,230 BTU's per pound with 6.22% ash content with .33% sulfur. At 10.25% moisture they will produce 6924 BTU's per pound with 5.19% ash content producing .29% sulfur.
Soybeans burn rather dirty and will leave a oil film that can clog heat exchangers and venting. They are a rather expensive fuel compared to most agriculture fuel.
Mixing a small amount 2-5% with Corn will chemically help the combustion process and reduce clinkering. the soy bean needs to be as dry as possible to avoid dirty burning. A small tip, edible beans actually are an ideal fuel and can be purchased at a reasonable cost. Happy heating.

I can see it now. Next year the Pinto Bean Stove will be the heater in shortest supply.

wonder if the beans give off their best heat pre or post digestion?

BeGreen, is that about the Analization of soybeans? After all, most legumes will only give off their methane, and be in their most easily burnable state, when you analize them! Ask any soused teenager with a plate of chili and a lighter to demonstrate.

I couldn't resist. I'm so sorry.

Joshua

joshuaviktor said:
BeGreen, is that about the Analization of soybeans? After all, most legumes will only give off their methane, and be in their most easily burnable state, when you analize them! Ask any soused teenager with a plate of chili and a lighter to demonstrate.

I couldn't resist. I'm so sorry.

Joshua

Would that be know as back puffing?

Beans, beans, good for the hearth,
The more you heat, the more you move the air around.

All right, it doesn't rhyme! You try!

Status
Not open for further replies.