spalted maple in wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fisherpilot

Aug 28, 2014
Northwest NJ
I am very new to burning wood. I have been cutting some firewood for this season. I'm behind the curve on getting my wood cut and seasoned. Ive been cutting downed trees hoping that they will be dryer. Have cut a good bit of maple and most of it is spalted. Most is solid 90% solid. The other wood I've been cutting is ash. Can I burn these this year?

FisherPilot,
This is my first burning season, others with more experience will be better able to answer you specific questions regarding burning ash, etc.

Do you own a moisture meter? They can be purchased from many locations for less than $20 and will probably answer your question. You simply make a fresh split from a sample piece, push the prongs into the newly exposed face (prongs with the grain), and activate the meter.

Readings below 20% are probably a sign you'll get decent heat from the wood (take several samples to be sure). Readings above 20% get progressively less likely to be worth burning as the numbers climb, and can cause dangerouse creosote buildup and eventually chimney fires. If your seeing 30% plus then plan on letting that wood age another season in the sun and wind.

You may be able to get wood that's in the low 20's moisture content to be useful, maybe aging a bit more with the sides exposed but the tops covered. Also, you may be able to dry some a few percent if stored in the stove room, but don't overdue it, as you could also bring in mold etc. and be breathing spores, and bring insects into the house.

Finally, you may be able to mix wood that's almost ready with very dry wood, compressed wood blocks, etc, or find alternet wood for this season (blocks, pallets, leftover ends from saw mills, etc.).

Good luck to you, and remember that your efforts will pay off, even if it takes another season to really get burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.