spark from the rear of F600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul?

Burning Hunk
May 30, 2014
western pa
I started a fire this afternoon around 2:30 and all went as usual. After reaching about 550 degrees, I shut the air down to the usual setting and let it cruise. Around 5 o'clock this evening, with my stove top temp down to 400 or so, and well into the coaling stage, there was a large gust of wind outside, and a loud crackling noise from inside the fire box, similar to the noise and sparking that some species of wood will produce when the loading door is open. I didn't see into the fire box from where I was, but I did see one spark fall onto the hearth pad from what appeared to be the secondary air intake hole. Anyone have any experience with this problem on an F600? Thanks in advance.

It's possible there was something inside one of the pieces of wood and the sudden strong draft was enough to cause a reaction.

It's possible there was something inside one of the pieces of wood and the sudden strong draft was enough to cause a reaction.
I thought of that myself. I am just concerned with that one lonely spark from the back of the stove. I guess if it was a backdraft situation and outside air was forced down the chimney, then it could have carried a spark into a secondary tube and out through the intake hole. I'm going to clean it tonight and inspect all my joints with a strong flashlight to be sure it's not some other problem. It's burns normally though, so i can't really picture any external leaks.

The OAK inlet on mine is the source for all intake air so if this happened to me, I would suspect the primary dog house inlet is the shortest largest path for a spark to escape the firebox if there was a brief reversal of flow. A little spooky for sure!

The OAK inlet on mine is the source for all intake air so if this happened to me, I would suspect the primary dog house inlet is the shortest largest path for a spark to escape the firebox if there was a brief reversal of flow. A little spooky for sure!
The thing about the primary air inlet in this case is that the primary air was closed. When I was installing the stove I believe that the Jotul manual specified no OAK unless local regs required one, now I'm not so sure that I don't want one. The spark was one of those tiny bright ones that will zip out of the loading door on occasion when the fire gets fresh air. It only lasted a second but it was unnerving.

Status
Not open for further replies.