Sparks after scraping burnpot (Harman)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billgeorge767

Feb 14, 2014
Pennsylvania
I have a P61A that was just installed at the end of February. I've noticed that after I scrape the burnpot and the fire builds back up, there are lots of sparks flying for a few minutes. Is this normal? I'm guessing it it small bits or carbon being blown around?

I have a P61A that was just installed at the end of February. I've noticed that after I scrape the burnpot and the fire builds back up, there are lots of sparks flying for a few minutes. Is this normal? I'm guessing it it small bits or carbon being blown around?
Could also be bits of metal scrapings. Metal scrapings will burn and usually sparkle when they do.

I was not scraping as well as I apparently should have during the first week or two, because I discovered bigger carbon buildup than I thought was there, which is why I'm probably scraping harder now.

Reactions: Hoot23
Also after scraping you are back to a good air flow through your burn pot and it picks up the small particles of pellet chips and such till things settle down. As other have said, it's all normal. I love my p61, you learn it's ways soon enough !! Good luck with it.

Also after scraping you are back to a good air flow through your burn pot and it picks up the small particles of pellet chips and such till things settle down. As other have said, it's all normal. I love my p61, you learn it's ways soon enough !! Good luck with it.
yep/.....
many times I get a kewl looking fireworks display for a while...

Mine does the same

Status
Not open for further replies.