Sparks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
Opened the stove last night to move some coals around and it started sparking at me! This is not the first time it has happened but wondering why?

Are you burning Osage or hedge (or any of their cousins)? Notorious for sparks. I actually had a pine split that tossed a couple at me, last night.

My pine does that every once in awhile. Good thing for the hearth pad.
My cat (feline friend) actually got burnt one time because of that. Needless to say, as soon as she sees me carrying wood to the stove, she moves to her bed until I am done.

Mostly oak with the occasional piece of locust or ash mixed in.

Locust is probably your culprit. Not uncommon. Did it look kinda like a sparkler?

It's probably moisture pockets in the wood-when heat hits them they explode. Mulberry is notorious for doing that, Sassafras and some others will too.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Mystery solved.

I have this also from time to time and I only have oak and spruce. I think it has something to do with sudden increased air, as it only happens when the door is opened.

My guess is that it is different. I believe what you are seeing is from pockets of moisture (possibly sap). From the explanation of the OP - his sparks are different. Tiny, multiple sparks akin to a kids sparkler.
The very reason that pine and others "pop", but Osage, hedge, locust (and all of their cousins) can actually have this "sparkler" effect when cold air (open doors) hits them. I am guessing that it is two different things.

Whoops - sorry PA - yes Mulberry can fall into the sparkler category.

ETA - man, that was poorly typed (by me). Basically I am trying to make a distinction between a "pop" and a "sparkler" effect. Two different things going on.

Here's what I see: when I open the door, a sudden spark will shoot off in any direction, sometimes in multiple directions. This is accompanied by a faint click sound. It seems to occur when there is a red hot coal bed, cause that's the only time I open the door.

If sparklers don't make you immediately jump back and close the door, we are talking about two different things.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Here's what I see: when I open the door, a sudden spark will shoot off in any direction, sometimes in multiple directions. This is accompanied by a faint click sound. It seems to occur when there is a red hot coal bed, cause that's the only time I open the door.

That is when it happens for me also when I get a coal bed and then I open the door. It is similar to a sparkler in the sense that it is just not one spark it is multiple.

That is when it happens for me also when I get a coal bed and then I open the door. It is similar to a sparkler in the sense that it is just not one spark it is multiple.

I get the same thing, on occasion, when openin the door to add more wood. Tiny sparks, and a slight crackling sound. Glad I have the hearth pad.

My guess is that it is different. I believe what you are seeing is from pockets of moisture (possibly sap). From the explanation of the OP - his sparks are different. Tiny, multiple sparks akin to a kids sparkler.
The very reason that pine and others "pop", but Osage, hedge, locust (and all of their cousins) can actually have this "sparkler" effect when cold air (open doors) hits them. I am guessing that it is two different things.

Whoops - sorry PA - yes Mulberry can fall into the sparkler category.

ETA - man, that was poorly typed (by me). Basically I am trying to make a distinction between a "pop" and a "sparkler" effect. Two different things going on.

Yes, Jags is right, there are two different things that can go on here. The one is where like you described you open the stove door to add more fuel and it pops and throws sparks all over the place. The other is when the stove is closed you will sometimes hear a loud "pow" noise; I've had some over the years that were so loud I thought the glass would crack! Haven't had that in awhile though...not that I miss it either!

I have been experiencing the same thing this week. After going through the two-year, I dipped into last years. Takes a little bit more effort to get started, but no carbon on the glass; no sparks UNTIL I get down to a (very excessive) coal bed. Even after all night, when I begin to rake the coals forward, it is Fourth-of July--burned a hole in my shirt!! Any agitation of the coals can result in a large shower of sparks. I think the wood is all oak, not sure if it is white or red; dealer said might be some hickory in there.

One of the many benefits of top loading stoves... no sparks out the door!

Reactions: firebroad
Love the sparklers when the door is closed. Mulberry Locust and Hedge are best. Put them altogether for a great show.
At least your wood is dry.

Problem is, I only get the SparklePlenty's when the door is open and I am raking coals:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.