Speaking of Widow Makers...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Solarguy3500

Feeling the Heat
Dec 3, 2020
Western MA
I have this hanging over the stone wall that runs along the property line at the edge of my side yard.
IMG_20210321_091241.jpg
It's a big double leader sugar maple and half of it broke in a big storm last August (remnants of a hurricane). It got caught by a beech and a hemlock and there it sits.
IMG_20210321_091323.jpg
It still has quite a hinge holding it at the trunk.
IMG_20210321_091357.jpg
I scratch my head every time I go outside and look at it trying to figure out if and how I could deal with it. I think this one is beyond my abilities and limited equipment, so I'll probably have to call in the professionals. It bugs me because I had just gotten that area cleaned up from years of neglect from the previous homeowners.

Last edited:
Even if you could get a long strap over it, and pull with a truck, I doubt that hinge will let go. Looks like your dog is keeping a wary eye on it also.

Reactions: Solarguy3500