1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Speakman shower head issue

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by P38X2, Jan 13, 2013.

1. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Hello, folks.

I have a Speakman shower head that's driving me nuts. The issue is the threads where the head screws onto the ball swivel (not the other end that attaches to the shower arm). This joint controls how much force is required to articulate the head. The problem is, if the head is tight enough so it doesn't accidentally unscrew, it wont articulate due to it being too tight. If I back it off a bit, it articulates nicely but also unscrews VERY easily.

The ball washer is lubricated with the proper grease. If I don't use teflon tape on the threads, it leaks. if I do, the leaking stops but the swiveling issue remains. It's too tight or too loose. I've tried varying amounts of tape but that didn't work either. I also tried paste thread sealer (pipe dope, I think) and that was about as useful as putting grease on the threads.

I need a product that'll seal the threads AND provide the necessary resistance to secure the threads so the head doesn't spin. Aside from Loctite, I'm out of ideas.

Suggestions?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    How about an o-ring at the end of the threads that compresses as you screw it in tight?

Matt
  3. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Thanks for the suggestion, Matt. I tried that too. Helped a little but it was still funky.

Ended up only using blue loctite. Might never get it apart again but it's likely the last I'll need to fart around with it. GREAT, easily "adjusted;)" shower head for those looking for Binford like water volume.

ETA- From the factory, the threads were clean and bare. After the "mod", I erroneously used Teflon tape. When I removed it to try it without, I never removed the tape residue and I believe this was the issue. Should've tried clean threads alone before using loctite. Oh well.
  4. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Blue Loctite can be disassembled.
    Red is the one that's never meant to see daylight again.
  5. nate379

nate379 Guest

Unless it's a very small screw I use 271 (red) on everything. Yet to have it "weld" the fastener together. 242 is fine for small fasteners, almost useless on anything over 3/8"ish.

6. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    A good reference site on this. .
    http://www.type2.com/library/chemicals/loctite.htm