Special rope gasket necessary for catalytic stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Reed

Nov 24, 2012
Michigan
Hi all,

I have taken apart my wood stove insert and found that the rope gasket for the top needs replaced as well as the side door gasket. The stove is a Dutchwest 2460.

http://fsfireplaces.com/p/462/wood-stoves

This is the kind of stove I have. I attached the PDF manual for the stove.

I bought the appropriate gasket size, but when I looked at the package I noticed that the temperature max is 1000 F. I know the cat gets a lot hotter than 1000, but is the gasket going to hold up? I didn't see any different temperature ranges available for gaskets. Man, I'd hate to have a fire going and suddenly have the gasket fail!

What do you guys and gals think? Do I need a gasket with a higher temp rating? Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

Jason

Attachments

• vermont_castings_wood_burning_stove_DutchWest_catalytic_cast_iron_wood_stove.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 373
Jason, this thread needs to be in the Hearth forum where it will get noticed by people who can answer your question. Hopefully one of the moderators will move it.

If you are talking about the top plate of the stove, I think the appropriate size gasket will do, as long as it is the fiberglass type made for wood stoves. The cat might get hotter than 1000 degrees but it sits in a chamber with an insulating element that controls the rediance of that heat, I think. I only speak from limited experience as I have yet to install mine.

But do a search for Dutchwest 2460, or Dutchwest and plenty of threads come up - especially one that is a very detailed account from another member.

Im not directly familiar with this stove - but I believe the catalyst sits within a refractory housing correct?

Any gasket that directly touches the catalytic or sits within the refractory chamber (where temps can hit 1600F) would need to be high temperature gasket material such has Condar catguard http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/Gasket_Details.html

The gasket for the iron access panel you remove to get to the refractory package can be plain old rope gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.