1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Speeco 15 Ton

Post in 'The Gear' started by HittinSteel, Apr 14, 2013.

1. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Well after singing the praises of my ching chong engine on my 15 ton splitter, it died yesterday.

Went from running great to nothing. Seemed like it was electrical. I got a new plug and am only getting intermittent spark.

On a saw I'd clean and check the gap with a business card between the flywheel and pickup first, but I don't know anything about 4 strokes.

Suggested course of action ideas welcome.......I'll mess with it some today and if it isn't something simple, I'll hve to take it in.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hemlock

hemlock Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    east coast canada
    Not sure how the engine is set up, but you may have a weak ground wire connection.

Edit - My terminology may not have been correct in this circumstance. All the same, a weak or intermitent signal often indicates a bad connection somewhere. Have a good look at all the electrical connections for security or corrosion, etc...
    HittinSteel likes this.
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Ignition system is nearly identical to one found on a saw. Check the wiring including the high tension lead for nicks, scrapes or cracks in the insulation. Then check the switch to make sure it isn't faulty. Finally, check the air gap but my guess is it's wiring or a faulty coil.

EDIT: Any chance the engine has a low oil sensor? They can be a PITA sometimes. ;)
    HittinSteel likes this.
  4. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Well I checked all the wiring, pulled the exhaust, air filter, cleaned the ground, and drained the carb bowl. Didn't see anything wrong.

Pulled my trailer around to load it for the dealer. Put it all back together and it started on the first pull.

It was a little low on oil, but I don't know if that was the issue or it was just super flooded.

Anyway, I got the rest of my wood split yesterday. Thanks for the suggestions.
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

;lol You ARE a 2-cycle guy aren't you? :p

Glad to hear you're up and running.
    HittinSteel likes this.
  6. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    After all that & no pictures?
    Come on man ! :)
  7. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    ;lol yep and all I could see was a valve.
  8. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    okay okay...... glad I didn't have to split this maple and cherry with my fiskars

Attached Files:

9. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice pile of wood.
    Glad it was just a minor problem & not an engine failure. ;)