speeco wood splitters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
looking for any and all info (personal experience preferred) on speeco wood splitters. if you can help out, thanks. going to be buying a splitter this season, and am considering this brand.... pros? cons??

You might try a search on this site, in the "gear" forum. There's been a ton of discussion over the last year about Speeco splitters.

Reason there is so much info is because its just about the most popular splitter on the market. It has good price point and works well. Yes they've had their issues over the yrs but for the most part most people are satified with the performance. Customer service is excellent. They have cheapened them up a little with china made parts however the average user won't see a problem.

Note that SpeeCo also makes Huskee splitters. I’ve also seen SpeeCo splitters with the Bad Boy name on them.

i did search speeco wood splitters on this site but only got a bunch of wood splitters as results...thats why i asked for personal opinions.
huskee is another brand that is being considered...but one fella posted a lot of trouble with the way it was set up at tsc, so that makes me wary.

I have the small 15 ton and for the 5 cord I do every year, I'd buy it again in a heart beat

Owned a SpeeCo 20 ton H/V with 8HP Tecumseh that I bought new for 9 1/2 yrs ending in Dec 2005.Threw everything I had at it - 24"American Elm,18" gnarly & twisted Honey Locust,large Mulberry & Bur Oak stumps/crotches,you name it.Only slowed down a couple times & never did kill the engine.Only sold it because of needing quick cash due to a pre-Christmas temp layoff.

I have a 2009 build Huskee 35-ton vertical/horizontal model and it splits everything. Customer service is very good. I like the built-in log cradle and beam height. They're a good bang for the buck, and I'd buy one again if I need that type of splitter.

yooperdave said:
i did search speeco wood splitters on this site but only got a bunch of wood splitters as results...thats why i asked for personal opinions.
huskee is another brand that is being considered...but one fella posted a lot of trouble with the way it was set up at tsc, so that makes me wary.
Wow, I must of missed those posts about the tsc problem! %-P

Seriously, the Huskee is a good machine and *can* be put together correctly. Any machine is going to have to be assembled by someone, the thing to do is be proactive and check the machine before you hook it to your vehicle....simple nuts and bolts, and fluid checks. Carry a couple of pieces of wood with you to split...I carried some p*ss elm with me.
smiley-devil25.gif

Plus, if you have a problem you have somewhere to take it to and somebody to look eyeball to eyeball to. Though TSC is a big company I think they still know where their paychecks come from. Also, Huskee/Speeco has excellent customer service. I wouldn't be afraid of either a Speeco or Huskee. My Huskee has worked flawlessly for me...I'm approaching a cord and I'm ashamed to say it's time to for an oil change (I'm slow, not the splitter!).

What size are you considering?

After using my Huskee for a while I feel that I made a good choice for my needs.

Ed

Intheswamp said:
yooperdave said:
Wow, I must of missed those posts about the tsc problem! %-P

Seriously, the Huskee is a good machine and *can* be put together correctly. Any machine is going to have to be assembled by someone, the thing to do is be proactive and check the machine before you hook it to your vehicle....simple nuts and bolts, and fluid checks. Carry a couple of pieces of wood with you to split...I carried some p*ss elm with me.
smiley-devil25.gif

Plus, if you have a problem you have somewhere to take it to and somebody to look eyeball to eyeball to. Though TSC is a big company I think they still know where their paychecks come from. Also, Huskee/Speeco has excellent customer service. I wouldn't be afraid of either a Speeco or Huskee. My Huskee has worked flawlessly for me...I'm approaching a cord and I'm ashamed to say it's time to for an oil change (I'm slow, not the splitter!).

What size are you considering?

After using my Huskee for a while I feel that I made a good choice for my needs.

Ed

Didnt but a Huskee but as far as checking evry nut and bolt, I do have a comment. Just bought an MTD 21 ton. AND.... Everything on it was loose. Engine oil level was o.k.. But Hyd oil level was low. I got a good deal on a floor model, that was already assembled. Which drove me to double check everything. I used Loc-Tite on everything that I knew wasnt gonna come apart. I looked at the Speeco's. Really nice units.

Love my huskee (aka speco). Made a small table and bolted to the I beam to lay half splits on while i split the other half when working horizontal. My 22ton is as much as ill ever need. Good machine for the money

oilstinks said:
Love my huskee (aka speco). Made a small table and bolted to the I beam to lay half splits on while i split the other half when working horizontal. My 22ton is as much as ill ever need. Good machine for the money
+1 I love mine. Be safe.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.