Wood splitter modification?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crashmymax

Dec 2, 2018
south dakota
I bought a 4 way slip on splitter. It works great except the ram can not fully return with it on. The to post that help remove stuck wood won't allow it to. I don't think they serve any purpose other then help remove a stuck piece of wood when the ram returns. I'm thinking of cutting them off completely. What are your thoughts? 20240127_122124.jpg

When you have a piece of wood that's stuck on the wedge, those strippers are really useful. It saves you from having to find a sledge hammer and beating the split off the wedge. I don't think I'd take them off my splitter.

Reactions: all night moe
Reactions: all night moe
Yes, while a back stop(s) may not get used much it sure is helpful when a piece is really stuck. I would move them back. From what I can see they wouldn’t have to be very far back to give the you that extra room.

Or you could use a limiting sleeve to limit the return stroke by that small distance. Be aware of two things.
1. You will reduce splitting length by equal amounts of the sleeve.
2. You will want to make sure the sleeve hits the body of the cylinder, not the seal.

Or you could use a limiting sleeve to limit the return stroke by that small distance. Be aware of two things.
1. You will reduce splitting length by equal amounts of the sleeve.
2. You will want to make sure the sleeve hits the body of the cylinder, not the seal.
^^^ bingo
OP the shorter stroke will even benefit you in cycle times unless, your aim is to split the biggest lengths possible.

I have never had a piece of wood stuck on my splitter
You could cut them down so the 4 way passes over them, so they would still dislodge the wood if it was stuck low enough. And provide a spot to stick a leaver if it was stuck to just the top of the wedge.

If it hits does it stop the ram and trip the valve? If so just let it do that if you have enough splitting length.