SpeedCo 4-way wedge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
Anyone ever use their 4-way wedge? I read a coupe reviews where people complained that the steel softened. I'm an iron worker, and there's no way it "softened" unless there were splitting rocks also. It's gotta be a mild cabon steel, even low carbon would be fine. So aside from the ridiculous softened steel reviews...anyone ever use this?

Anyone ever use their 4-way wedge? I read a coupe reviews where people complained that the steel softened. I'm an iron worker, and there's no way it "softened" unless there were splitting rocks also. It's gotta be a mild cabon steel, even low carbon would be fine. So aside from the ridiculous softened steel reviews...anyone ever use this?

there are two distinctly different models of Speeco 4-way wedges. One is a 4-way that slips over the existing wedge and Speeco goes out of their way to say that it should only be used with softwoods. The other is a 4-way that completely replaces the existing sled. It's technically not a true 4-way as the horizontal wings look like they are only a couple of inches long. I had looked at it and decided it was just another wood processing item that would be purchased and never used. The thing does appear to be very stout as shipping on it is $60.00. There are a few people that make custom 4-way wedges but I never got a response.

http://www.freewebs.com/logsplitter/ (he never responded)

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...rs-speeco-has-a-new-4-way-wedge-system.84203/

http://omni-mfg.com/Speeco-Adjustab...or-22t-25t-Speeco-Log-Splitters-P2360522.aspx

Reactions: Kool_hand_Looke
I half bought into it, half figured it was another gimmick.

I have the huskee 35 ton splitter. Craigslist deal. I've run about 5 facecord through it. I bought the log cradle and cheaper 4way from tsc and started splitting. The cradle is a must and after having it I plan to fab one a little more elaborate. As far as the 4way goes. I am pretty sure it slows me down. It does work but the splits are not as clean as without it. Looks like the wood is ripped as its split. The best way I can put it is the 4way could be useful with the right rounds/species. 20131205_201811.jpg20131205_201638.jpg

I have the huskee 35 ton splitter. Craigslist deal. I've run about 5 facecord through it. I bought the log cradle and cheaper 4way from tsc and started splitting. The cradle is a must and after having it I plan to fab one a little more elaborate. As far as the 4way goes. I am pretty sure it slows me down. It does work but the splits are not as clean as without it. Looks like the wood is ripped as its split. The best way I can put it is the 4way could be useful with the right rounds/species. View attachment 120684View attachment 120685

Boy that sucker is CLEAN. I have the exact same splitter but with a top pull techumseh. I need that cradle. Bad. It's funny you mention fabbing one...I'm a structural welder and structural fitter. I was going to do it myself, but I've gotten to where I am with car maintenance with welding. I refuse to do it for anyone. And I'd just assume pay for it.

KHL the speeco log cradle is ok at best. The little bit of vibration the small engine makes will vibrate logs right off the cradle. I've tried leveling by the tongue jack and it helps. if you want to be happy with it fab one. Maybe for $50 this one is all you'll need. Also the speeco cradle is curved to roll the log towards the splitter. It puts logs/splits in the way of the log being split occasionally. All in all.... I am very happy to have a cradle. Its a real back saver. But I have an idea for a table mounted to the splitter. Part of it will fold up and it will have a inch lip on 3 sides. It will be a little bigger. If I get around to it I'll take some pics to post. the splitter is great. I'm really impressed with it.

Last edited:
There are a few people that make custom 4-way wedges but I never got a response.

http://www.freewebs.com/logsplitter/ (he never responded)

Bob is straight up busy this time of year, everyone one wants his 4 way ASAP. His 4 way's are built like a tank and will last for a long long time, mine looks barely used after 2 seasons and many many cords run through it.

As with all 4 ways you have to pick the best size log for it to work correctly unless you have a timberwolf with a movable 4way.

Status
Not open for further replies.