Spend my money

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPABill

Feb 10, 2011
NorthCentral PA
I looking to buy a "big" saw. I have Stihls, and a good Stihl dealer, so I'll stay with that brand. I'm looking for something that will pull a 24" to 25" bar in hardwood. Price, of course, is an object, and I'm not a pro, but I like mid-range or better saws. I've read reviews until my eyes ached - and everyone has something to say, but when it comes down to spending your money, spend my money - what would you buy?

Thanks,

Bill

460 is the first I would want and second would be 441, third would be a 362. Your going to need a pro saw to pull that bar, 391 could be the only option of a non-pro saw for what you want to do.

I'm read to step up and I've run big saws before, but I'm getting into some bigger trees and don't want to borrow. Everything I've run before was for someone else, and it was what was there, so there wasn't any selection. Do you think the 391 would pull full bar in hardwood? Most of the big stuff would be White Pine, with the occasional 20" hardwood.

Thanks for the votes so far.

Bill

+1 on what smokinjay wrote.

If you regularly bury a 24/25" bar in hardwood, go 70cc or larger.

Thanks to you all. List pricing is, with 20" bars, for comparison:

391 64cc 4.4hp 14# $560
362 59cc 4.6hp 13# $690
441 70cc 5.5hp 15# $870
460 76cc 6.0hp 15# $990

My dealer thought they had a nice 660 coming in for around $600.00, but the deal fell through. I might wait a while to see if something else turns up. If not, the 391 is quite a step up from my MS250. Anyone run a 24" +/- bar on a 391.

any of the lower-end "magnum" saws should do good, however Stihl's magnum saws do come with a "magnum" price.

I have a buddy with a 036 pro. He put a 24" bar on it and has done no mods to it. (dont know why)... It worked. Not great, but worked... Maybe not as well, had it been a 391. I am sure you could put a 24" on a 391. Pretty big saw. If it were "My Money", I would go with the 441. Seeing how the Thread title is "Your Money", I would buy the 460 (576 XP in my case) and never look back. I am still looking for a big 70cc saw myself. I am impartial to Husqvarna's. (Ford vs Chevy) Looking to get the 372 XP ($830) or 576 XP ($840) soon. Good luck on your purchase.

Biggest I put on my 390 (64cc) is a 20", and it flew through everything with ease.
could sit on the saw cutting through softwood with the bar buried and not bog it down.
would bog down slightly if I put a ton of pressure on it through some harder wood.

Pay a little extra now and be happy for life....... 441/460, whichever feels better in your hands.

460 is plenty of saw for Joe homeowner cutting wood but if your determined to have a 25" bar then I'd get a 660.
I've owned both for many years and in my eye a 25" don't belong on a 460 for best performance.

Thanks for all of the advice. Its funny, a guy spends his whole life around saws, and I've bought a pile of smaller ones in my business, but when I start looking at new ideas, I sure get uncomfortable. I think that's called "Cheap?"

Thanks again for all of the advice.

Bill

My MS361 mostly runs a 20" bar and rsc chain. However, when I need the extra length, the 25" bar/rsc combo works fine for me. I've never considered running skip chain because of the way it cuts as is. I cut mostly Oak, Ash, and Cherry here on the farm. I do like to keep my chains sharp and that helps.

justLEE said:
460 is plenty of saw for Joe homeowner cutting wood but if your determined to have a 25" bar then I'd get a 660.
I've owned both for many years and in my eye a 25" don't belong on a 460 for best performance.

If thats the case start with 880 pull the 28 inch bar when needed from time to time...lol I like it.

I was thinking if a 460 doesn't do well with a 25" then maybe he needs a 372XP.....it will pull it with authority. I'd hate to lug the weight of a 660 for a 25" bar.

HittinSteel said:
I was thinking if a 460 doesn't do well with a 25" then maybe he needs a 372XP.....it will pull it with authority. I'd hate to lug the weight of a 660 for a 25" bar.

lol 28 inch bar full comp beaver tailing around 9k rpm's lee has been on a 660 to long....lol

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:

lol 28 inch bar full comp beaver tailing around 9k rpm's lee has been on a 660 to long....lol

yep ;-)

Whoa fellas! I did mention that I was cheap, didn't I? I would love a 660, and my dealer told me to wait, he sometimes gets some nice trade-ins on the bigger saws. Apparently, the smaller saws get held onto due to the low trade-in value.

Thanks again for all of the advice. It may be a while, but I'll provide some follow-up.

HittinSteel said:

The difference in weight between a 460 and 660 with equal length bars is 1.9 lbs. If that makes a difference ,,,, take a crap before cutting wood and leave your wallet in the truck!

justLEE said:
HittinSteel said:

The difference in weight between a 460 and 660 with equal length bars is 1.9 lbs. If that makes a difference ,,,, take a crap before cutting wood and leave your wallet in the truck!

lol, I will give you That! Still love my 460.........

justLEE said:
HittinSteel said:

Taking a crap and leaving your wallet in the truck makes the saw weigh less?

Buying a 660 over a 441 or 460 will certainly make your wallet weigh less.

Yes it will.......by all means get a 660 if you can, but I think a 460 is just fine for a 25" bar.

Yeah, I'd love to have a 660, but I haven't come across a good used one...yet.

After over a year of hunting for a decent used 660, I decided to end my frustration by putting together a Dol/kita 7901. Hopefully I'll be able to put it into some wood this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.