Split a bit of wood at the weekend....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
I am trying to get ahead at the moment as we have sold our house and i wont have time to split all my scrounges soon.

No idea how much i split but i had to fill the splitter with gas 5 times....

Split a bit of wood at the weekend.... Split a bit of wood at the weekend.... Split a bit of wood at the weekend....

VERY nice pile, mate! I have always heard very good things about Aussie hardwoods. What do you have in that pile? I'm sure some of it I have never heard of! Up in the NW United States, we have mostly conifer species, all sorts of Pines, Junipers, Firs, Larches, and some Spruce. Lots of Black Locust, Cottonwood, Elm, and Maples down in the non-forested valleys. Tons of Cherry, Apple, Apricot, and Plum in the orchards. Plenty of Oaks in people's yards too. What was that black stuff in the front left of the 1st picture? That looked like fun to split.

We do have a lot of different types of hardwood here. The majority around me is Mountain Ash - these can grow massive and are straight and quite easy to split. See below. This is the pinky looking wood in the pile. I also collect a lot of Blackwood which is similar to walnut (i think) this splits easy and dries quick (for hardwood,) These have quite low BTU's similar to ash. Some of the other dense hardwood's we can get can be really hard to split and heavy to lift etc... and take a long time to season (3 years) they are nice to have but sometimes too too much hard work with all that seasoning time.

The black one is blackwood. I cut a couple down on my property a couple of years ago and i am drying them for a table (or something...?) it is a beautiful wood but it grows like a weed here :) its actually one of the best woods to split - a hard stare a nod from the Fiskars.

Split a bit of wood at the weekend....

The Mountain Ash is the world's tallest flowering plant and can reach heights of up to 150 metres. However generally they only reach 100 metres. Girth size can exceed 15 metres at the base.

Split a bit of wood at the weekend.... Split a bit of wood at the weekend.... Split a bit of wood at the weekend.... Split a bit of wood at the weekend.... Split a bit of wood at the weekend....

Status
Not open for further replies.