Split Ash Moisture %

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay106n

Minister of Fire
Apr 1, 2015
Litchfield County, CT
I c/s/s about 2/3 cord of ash today that I got for free from a friends lot. Knowing the source, it was probably standing dead when he cut the trees, and its been in log length on the ground in a pile of logs for a while. I grabbed a few truck loads of it and got it split today. I tested the splits with my Stihl moisture meter, and most splits were about 18%. I was wondering if this is good for ash and will be able to burn it this winter or I should set it aside for next winter. Thanks.

Last edited:
If you feel the moisture readings are accurate then its ready. Get it under cover and it you'll be good to go.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Yeah, the meter is good.I always hear that you can burn ash green. This isn't green, but wouldnt consider is seasoned since i just split it today. So wasn't sure if there is a naturally low moisture level of green ash and how low that is vs what seasoned ash would be.

Ash will season very quick. I have cord that was just split less than a month ago. It was still alive and some were 25%. Most were closer to 30% but now are all under 25% . I might even burn some of it this spring if it keeps up at this pace.

Yeah, the meter is good.I always hear that you can burn ash green. This isn't green, but wouldnt consider is seasoned since i just split it today. So wasn't sure if there is a naturally low moisture level of green ash and how low that is vs what seasoned ash would be.

The only thing you need to consider is the moisture content regardless of species.Meters can be off if the batteries are bad or the wood is cold. Sounds like you're in business.

I have cut a couple of standing dead ash this summer. It was long dead, split 2 months ago, it's now at 15% with my meter.

Seems to be working well for me. Burns good, coals nice.

I got pretty lucky with a couple of cords worth and 3 more trees out of the same area to get tomorrow.

Reactions: Jay106n
The only thing you need to consider is the moisture content regardless of species.Meters can be off if the batteries are bad or the wood is cold. Sounds like you're in business.

This meter good, as far as I can tell, it hasn't steered me wrong yet, and the outside temps were in the upper 40's today, so no problem there. Thank you for your responses. :)

I have cut a couple of standing dead ash this summer. It was long dead, split 2 months ago, it's now at 15% with my meter.

Seems to be working well for me. Burns good, coals nice.

I got pretty lucky with a couple of cords worth and 3 more trees out of the same area to get tomorrow.

Thanks, that is reassuring that my numbers are not far off. Cheers.

Most meters are designed for the wood to be at room temp ( 65-70F). At 40F the readings are going to be off quite a bit. Take a piece inside let warm up to room temp and then check it -probes across the grain not inline with. Check your manual for the meter there might be a material temp conversion listed.
Kinda a common mistake people make with mm units- once you know what it reads at room temps you can roughly covert for colder temps above freezing.

Reactions: Jay106n
Clap the pieces together, if you hear a sharp crack sound (vs thud) its good to do, it a good back up to a moisture meter.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
You're ready to burn that!
In central Ohio most of the wood I have been getting is ash, since there are so many that are coming down because of the ash borer. I have also been surprised at how quickly I am able to burn the ash. I had one tree on my own yard that I had to take down (about 34" diameter at the base), and I have gotten lots of ash from the neighbors (power company came through and cleared dead ash trees near power lines and left the rounds stacked...easy free wood!). I think they are pretty dry before they come down cause it seems like I am getting 18% to 20% after splitting most of these ash rounds. If you're getting 18%, burn baby burn!

Most meters are designed for the wood to be at room temp ( 65-70F). At 40F the readings are going to be off quite a bit. Take a piece inside let warm up to room temp and then check it -probes across the grain not inline with. Check your manual for the meter there might be a material temp conversion listed.
Kinda a common mistake people make with mm units- once you know what it reads at room temps you can roughly covert for colder temps above freezing.

You were right. I did a retest today since it got up to 65-70 degrees today. Fresh splits were registering at 23-25%. Thanks for the temp insight. Its still ash so in a month or 2 it should be good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.