split oak measures around 16% moisture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockreid

May 7, 2008
Stamford, CT
using my new ExTech M0210 moisture meter, I'm getting around 16% moisture content on my cord of wood. This wood is white oak and came from a large tree that was blown down 2 years ago. It was cut and split 2 months ago. What is the ideal moisture content for this wood? I have it stacked single row under shade trees but with good wind exposure.

Since I have so much shade on my 1.7 acres there really isn't any practical areas of the yard that gets direct sunlight, so I'm hoping the wind will do its job to make up for it.

I just bought the same moisture meter and am hoping that it is accurate.

I wonder if that is normal for wood that has been dead for a couple years and blown down because we cut a lot of firewood like that. This summer we're putting a gasifier in our new-build home and I'm hoping that wood like that will cut it because I don't have any left over from last year.

i actually just split a larger split in 2 and it measured 42% moisture deep inside :(

That's bad. I don't know if this cord will be ready to go this year. And I will need a good 3 cords or so of seasoned ready-to-go wood to get me through this year with $5 heating oil :(

I am not having that great of luck finding any seasoned firewood through Craigslist. In fact, I can't seem to locate any split firewood that is older than this past Spring. I noticed that some of my neighbors have unsplit rounds in their yards maybe half a cord or so) that look very grey and dry. i wonder if they are seasoned inside as well? These neighbors don't appear to be burning what they have so I might ask to simply take it off their hands. Problem is, I don't have a pickup or trailer. I might have to lay a heavy tarp in the back of my wagon and fit just a few rounds at a time back there.

Rocky - as you have found, the only way to get a true reading on a meter like that is to re-split a chunk and then take the measurement. I am guessing that your original 16% reading was from the split surface area that has seen sun and wind. Your second reading of 42% is most likely your "true" numbers.

Split a couple more pieces and get a good average of them. That should really help in knowing where your at. My experience is that white oak is best aged (cut, split, stacked) for 2 years. It can be burnable in 1, but in 2 years it really becomes the gold standard of firewood.

Have fun with your new toy, and remember, you can speed up the drying process by splitting a little smaller than normal.

Its a lot of work but if you split the oak smaller you have a chance of being ready this year...like half the normal size and you MAY be able to burn it.

I keep forgettign that I have a damn moisture meter! I will to put that in my saw bag!

Jags said:
...as you have found, the only way to get a true reading on a meter like that is to re-split a chunk and then take the measurement. I am guessing that your original 16% reading was from the split surface area that has seen sun and wind. Your second reading of 42% is most likely your "true" numbers...Split a couple more pieces and get a good average of them.

I have the ExTech MO220, and my experience parallels Jags' tips here exactly. Keep splittin'! :wow: Rick

White Oak, even saying its name curls my face like a pirate.....Arrrrggghhhh !
It's an S.O.B to season.......Even if its been laying around in log form for a few years.
Abosoooolutly the worst wood to season...it will leave your stove a smoldering, hissing mass of dissapointment (if not seasoned really good of course)......stack it .....and leave it for a very long, very long time.

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:

WHITE OAK, WHITE OAK, WHITE OAK...ok, let's see a pic, butcher. :lol: Rick

I have the extech 200 and it doesn`t lie. Back in early June the wife brought in some of the cedar mill ends that had been laying under the tarps, thought they would burn nicely cause they seemed nice and light. Burned like crap!! checked with the extech and moisture was 34%.

At least she no longer calls it a "foolish tool for foolish men" ;-)

On the last post on this subject I forgot to add-if you have a cordless drill? Take it to the wood pile with you. 1/16 bit is all you need. split half a dozen pieces. drill them on the inside of the split, and then insert the tips of the moisture meter. Less likely to bend the tips if you use this method. Awesome little gadget.!!

sonnyinbc said:
At least she no longer calls it a "foolish tool for foolish men" ;-)

Thats what my GF said until I whipped out the IR thermometer when I was asked "do you think this water is to warm" before she gave the new grand baby a bath. "Nope, its perfect". Settled that!

sonnyinbc said:
...At least she no longer calls it a "foolish tool for foolish men" ;-)

OK, sonny, maybe not the moisture meter anymore...but what about all that other stuff? :eek:hh: Rick

fossil said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

!!!!

Attachments

• wb_whiteoak.jpg
    wb_whiteoak.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 267
fossil said:
sonnyinbc said:
...At least she no longer calls it a "foolish tool for foolish men" ;-)

OK, sonny, maybe not the moisture meter anymore...but what about all that other stuff? :eek:hh: Rick

Depends on the mood.. You know when they get to the mid-fifties, man, there are rapid changes there. :coolcheese:

WOODBUTCHER said:
fossil said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

!!!!

I mean your face, butcher, not your wood for gosh sakes! Rick

sonnyinbc said:
... You know when they get to the mid-fifties, man, there are rapid changes there. :coolcheese:

Do I ever...we'll both be 60 before year's end. It only gets worse. (But, I s'pose she'd say the same.) :smirk: Rick

fossil said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
fossil said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

!!!!

I mean your face, butcher, not your wood for gosh sakes! Rick

Yeah.... but Craig would be upset because all the folks around here would abandon this website with a picture like that.....AHHHHRRRRGG!

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.