split or not split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixroses

Jan 31, 2008
alaska
After seeing how much wood some of you burned over the last heating season I have to wonder....How much wood is there in a split cord vs a not spit cord? I burned about 18 cord of unsplit birch, most of it was 6 to 10 inches in diameter. What is the ratio of split to unsplit? I am now about 1 cord ahead of my usage. I figure I need another 35 loads in my truck to have 18 cord for next year. I feel kind of tired when I see nofossil used less than 4 cord for the winter. :question:
Steve

A cord is a cord is a cord - 4 x 4 x 8.

That is alot of wood. But, nofossil doesn't have the temps to overcome that you do.

I think that split or unsplit, it comes out about the same. Some of the split pieces just fill in the gaps between the rounds. You might get some gain after splitting, but not enough to make much difference.

Seems like it ought to, but I've never noticed much difference. Split wood does burn faster, so even if it does stack up to more volume, it won't last any longer. You think, Pook? Or maybe that's my feeble attempt at an April Fool's joke. Probably time to thin out some of the plaque building up in my brain. Been a long week already, and it's only Tuesday.

I like to leave it unsplit until I get to the house. Seems to be easier for one guy, cause then I can roll some of the bigger pieces around instead of lifting it yet another time.
For gasifiers, I am wondering if I should split them down even more than I have been. This should help to dry the wood out faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.