Split Sizes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tynman

Hearth Supporter
Jun 19, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I've been reading through alot of posts on this site and I see alot of you guys talk about "small", "medium" and "large" splits. Could someone please educate me as to what this means (other than the obvious)? About what size is a small split, medium split and large split?

Thanks!

A small split is about the size of a man's forearm, a medium split is like a man's calf, and a large split is like a man's thigh.

Then there's the "bubba" split... the size of a man's beer gut.

Battenkiller said:
A small split is about the size of a man's forearm, a medium split is like a man's calf, and a large split is like a man's thigh.

I do a lot of steroids and don't work out my legs at all. I have a problem with your measurements... :)

Battenkiller said:
or there is the one I saw somewhere, where the guy couldn't get the stump he couldn't split all the way in the fire box, so he just stuck it in as far as he could and let her burn. As some would burn off he would shove it in a little farther....finally got that sucker in there and closed the doors. :ahhh: :snake:

I split large but never measured the things. The three going in for the night burn tonight are two at eight inches and one at nine at the widest point. What I would consider Grade A Large. Three are a firebox load for the 30.

On the occasion where I need a smaller one or two I just re-split as needed.

BrotherBart said:
I split large but never measured the things. The three going in for the night burn tonight are two at eight inches and one at nine at the widest point. What I would consider Grade A Large. Three are a firebox load for the 30.

I do that a lot for the Intrepid... a lot.

I think it really depends on the person and stove. For me if I'm splitting squares or rectangles I'd say small is 2x3, medium 3x4 or 4x5, large are 6 plus. For triangles if it's even on all sides I would use the same idea 3 or less is small, 4-5 medium 6 plus are large. For my stove anything bigger than the wedge on the splitter gets split which is 6-7 inches.

BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:

Yeah. I have to for the F3 in the basement too.

BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:

Yeah. I have to for the F3 in the basement too.

The F3 is a little bigger than the Intrepid, right?

BrowningBAR said:
The F3 is a little bigger than the Intrepid, right?
Somewhere around a .9 cf firebox.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'd been burning in a Regency I1200 so I cut most of mine in the 1x2 and 2x2 range because of the small box. I guess that's what you'd call pinky size splits. Upgraded to the H2100 this winder and can fit some bigger splits in there so I'm adjusting my splitting accordingly. I was also curious as to what these terms (small split, medium split and large split) actually meant for others out there! :)

i like the arm/calf/thigh discription, its very accurate... BUT a little disturbing you are talking about burning body parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.