Splitter Oil Change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Since I use the splitter during the winter I was thinking of changing the oil over to 5w-30, or is it to early?

zap

Put full synthetic 5w 30 in and you won't have to worry about the time of year. For the small amount of oil required the cost difference is not that great.

spacecowboyIV said:
Put full synthetic 5w 30 in and you won't have to worry about the time of year. For the small amount of oil required the cost difference is not that great.

spacecowboyIV; thanks for the reply. Looks like this weekend for the change, I'm throwing in a new spark plug too.

zap

Zap,

I have been thinking the same thing. I was just searching "Splitter Maintenance" and found nothing. How many times does everybody grease the splitter piston? It says to do it before each use on the sticker. I have not done that...

What is your routine for maintenance? You split all the time.

Thanks

FireAnt said:
Zap,

I have been thinking the same thing. I was just searching "Splitter Maintenance" and found nothing. How many times does everybody grease the splitter piston? It says to do it before each use on the sticker. I have not done that...

What is your routine for maintenance? You split all the time.

Thanks

FireAnt, nice to have you back. I changed the spark plug tonight, started on the first pull. On Sunday when I was splitting it took 2-3 pulls to start it, the splitter always starts on the first or second pull.

About the only maintenance I do is the above,changing the oil,check the aw-32 hydraulic fluid and since you mentioned the piston I'll check the manual.

zap

I keep synthetic 5W-30 in year round. The bonus is that it's the same oil I use in most of my other OPE.

Here's the oil chart from the B&S manual for my Huskee 35-ton splitter (2009 build):

BSoilRec2009.jpg

I run 5w40 in everything I own. Makes it easy to buy it in bulk vs having to keep several different oils on hand.

Funny how they say 10W30 will result in increased oil consumption over 80 degrees ambient but they reccomend a 5W30 for all temps? :-S Synthetic or not, 5W30 at operating temp should act like, well, 5W30.

Just my $.02 on spark plugs: Actual plug failures are rare. 95% of all spark plugs are replaced at the customers request as opposed to replacing a failed plug or one that has exceeded it's life expectancy. In these low-compresion, part-time use engines, spark plugs last for decades!

I went to 5-30 year round, I split in the spring 40 to 70 ambient.

The B&S on my spliter used oil for the first 2 years I had it. Ash fouled the plug several times, was filled with the correct straight 30w oil. I am suspecting ring seating issues that resolved themselves.
It now runs great and starts easily with the 5-30. Use the same in the snowblower and lawnmower, makes things easy.

MY splitter, wife's Subaru, and my Dodge all use the same model sparkplug, how convienient is that.

How often is it really necessary to change Hydraulic oil? I just changed over to ATF Dex II/III that way I know what I put in when it's time to change it again. Heard that it works a little better in colder weather too. Anyone substantiate that claim or is it bogus?

zapny said:
Since I use the splitter during the winter I was thinking of changing the oil over to 5w-30, or is it to early?

zap

I run it year around! Royal purple.

freeburn said:
How often is it really necessary to change Hydraulic oil? I just changed over to ATF Dex II/III that way I know what I put in when it's time to change it again. Heard that it works a little better in colder weather too. Anyone substantiate that claim or is it bogus?

On a splitter? You do not have to change the hyd oil as you would engine oil as there is no source of contamination. Maybe if you wanted to do it every 10 years or so then go for it. If you see the oil has discolored (dark or white, milkshake like consistency) then by all means change it. Otherwise if you take a sample and it comes out the same color it went in, change the filter once a season and get back to splitting.

No filter on my splitter. It says it's internal, which I assume means that it's pretty much non existent, maybe just a screen of some sort.

freeburn said:
No filter on my splitter. It says it's internal, which I assume means that it's pretty much non existent, maybe just a screen of some sort.

Most likely correct.

I run Series 3000 5w-30 amsoil for my diesel in everything . One oil does everything, tractor, cars, etc. Asked my Amsoil dealer what one oil could I get and just run in everything. Always have oil to top anything off. Zero problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.