Splitter problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r dubya

Dec 4, 2008
Ninilchik AK
Happy Holidays, one and all.
I'am trading some fire wood for the use of a buddies splitter.
When he brought it over, he said "the control lever is a little sticky [going forward], spray some wd=40 on it".I did.
Well I used it about an hour a day, for three days split the wood I will give him, and at least amonth of mine.

The control lever got even.. stickier..even with the wd-40..then I noticed.
The two screws that hold the lever control cap on were loose..Alright I can fix this here and now..snugged them back down..
Fired it back up and WWAALLAA,,forward stroke, smooth as silk..
But the return stroke just barley moves..
Anybody have any ideas??
This is a MTD/yard machine 27 ton splitter

Does the lever feel the same and move the same distance in each direction?

If the spool does not move full stroke in both directions it doesn't fully open and one direction will be slow.

If the cover screws were loose, the internal parts inside the rear cover (spring, detent, some washers and things) may have vibrated loose also.

Does it run hotter than normal or sound like the engine is working too hard on retract? Depending on the spool and valve design, if the spool doesn't fully shift, it may restrict the pump to cylinder connection (and the oil would heat up and the engine work too hard, maybe even unload the pump to low speed) or it may fail to close off the pump connection to tank (in which case the oil would not heat up and the engine would sound normal.)

kcj

Just to clarify - the return stoke operated normally until you tightened the screws on the end cap? If this is the case, you will probably need to pull the end cap back off and find out what the restriction is. I'm with Kevin thinking that you are not getting a full stroke of the spool when you throw it in reverse.

mines a 22 ton dubya and had a problem awhile ago with the reverse stroke. the gang on the board here had me fixed up in no time ;-)

turned out to be a "flat" o-ring.

here's the guts of it.

DSC06418.jpg

loon

Jags said:
Just to clarify - the return stoke operated normally until you tightened the screws on the end cap? If this is the case, you will probably need to pull the end cap back off and find out what the restriction is. I'm with Kevin thinking that you are not getting a full stroke of the spool when you throw it in reverse.
Thanks for the replys.
Yes, the return stroke was normal till i snugged down the screws on the lever end of the valve.
I have did some reading on this valve, and have pulled the spool, the O ring looked fine, and all the little balls on the end were in place.
Motor never sounded strange.

With end cap tight - pull handle to full reverse. Note the placement (or mark it in some way). Now loosen the end cap, does the handle have more "throw" or travel? If it does then you know that your not going into full reverse. There is no other reason that the end cap being tight vs. loose could affect the speed of the ram. It doesn't do anything. Its just a cover for the spool when the valve is in the reverse position and the spool is exposed.

Jags said:
With end cap tight - pull handle to full reverse. Note the placement (or mark it in some way). Now loosen the end cap, does the handle have more "throw" or travel? If it does then you know that your not going into full reverse. There is no other reason that the end cap being tight vs. loose could affect the speed of the ram. It doesn't do anything. Its just a cover for the spool when the valve is in the reverse position and the spool is exposed.

Thanks Jags.
When you say end cap, do you mean, the control lever end or the dust cover end?
I tightend the screws on the lever end.
This is an Energy 19693c . I found this on a web surf.
"Service tip, The lever bracket [thats what I tightend] is the most common service part on these valves. Periodically check that the mounting screws are not loose. Loose screws may lead to premature failure as a result of load change on the bracket"
So do you think that bracket is some how tweaked?

r dubya said:
When you say end cap, do you mean, the control lever end or the dust cover end?
I tightend the screws on the lever end.
This is an Energy 19693c . I found this on a web surf.
"Service tip, The lever bracket [thats what I tightend] is the most common service part on these valves. Periodically check that the mounting screws are not loose. Loose screws may lead to premature failure as a result of load change on the bracket"
So do you think that bracket is some how tweaked?

Awww heck - I'm on the wrong end of this thing. I was talking about the dust cover.

I read the same info. Sounds like it is a known problem if they state the issue right up front. I am not real familiar with your valve. Hopefully Kevin will pipe back up. He's da man on this stuff.

At first blush it does sound like something is "tweaked". You may want to disconnect the handle from the spool and try to move it into the reverse position manually (like with a heavy screw driver or something). It still sounds like you are not getting full travel of the spool. If you can manually reverse the spool and the speed improves, you may be looking at some bent linkage or something. Pictures would be a big help.

The spool looks identical to the pic Loon posted.
I have tried pushing the spool in with the lever disconnected, same amount of throw, same slow speed.
The guy who owns the splitter is stopping by in the next couple days to pick up his wood and check out the splitter.
He alot more mechanicaly inclined then I, and he told me not to worry as he knew there was the stickey lever problem.
I searched the archives here and the Arborist sight and..Wow..a guy can read all day.
This is a 27 ton MTD made in 2004, so I guess its also the one there have been some cylinder/ram problems with also..scary
I've pretty much tried every thing I dare try, so I will let my buddy figure it out. I told him I would go half on the repairs.
I have more wood to split and he need more wood, so we are all good there.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions

I had a splitter valve that had a problem where the cylinder would start extending on it own.. The problem I found was at the back of the spool was a short set screw with a jam nut witch broke off. The only purpose I could see for this set screw would be to adjust how far the spool could be pushed in.

I don't remember what brand of valve it was but it looked similar to the one used on MTD'S. Beware that this screw is concealed in the detent area which contains small steel balls and a spring under tension.

splitter details 005 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• splitter details 005 (Small).jpg
    splitter details 005 (Small).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 492
How's it coming along. Just wanted to get the details on what is going on with it in case I will need info for mine one day. Keep us updated on the fix.

My guess is there might have been some wiggle room on the bolt holes and that it got cinched up a little out of alignment. I'd loosen it back up, push the spool in to where it works right, and while holding it there, tighten the bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.