Splitter storage outdoors.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrpga498

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
New Jersey
I have a MDT? 27 ton splitter with 6.5 briggs engine. Bought it in 2006 and have only changed the hydro filter after 50 hours use as per the manual. Over the past 2 winters I have had to store it outside rather then in the garage, long story too much "stuff" in garage . Anyway, this is what I do after each time I use the splitter. I put a light coat of used oil on the beam and also spray a little wd40 on the valve control. COver it with tarp and wait till next scrounge. My question to the experts here is what else should I do when storing outside during in the future. Thanks in advance for any feed back and have a good day. TY

I know a farmer who only does that to a number of tractors, splitters, etc. I think you'll be just fine. Maybe make sure there to disconnect the battery so it doesn't drain if there is one and make sure there is some stabil in the gas.

Matt

Thanks Matt, I have added "seafoam " to the last gallon of fuel mix just to be on the safe side.

Gary_602z said:
I am sure you do,but make sure the ram is retracted also.

Gary
+1

Make sure the tarp you use doesn't drape all the way to the ground otherwise it traps moisture coming up from the ground under it.

Tarp over top area only, and yes, ram retracted fully. Thanks for the input guys.

Leave the gas tank full, prevents condensation. That's how water inexplicably winds up in your fuel. You can and should shut the fuel supply line off and run the Carb dry unless you use the splitter at least every couple weeks.

adrpga498 said:
I have a MDT? 27 ton splitter with 6.5 briggs engine. Bought it in 2006 and have only changed the hydro filter after 50 hours use as per the manual. Over the past 2 winters I have had to store it outside rather then in the garage, long story too much "stuff" in garage . Anyway, this is what I do after each time I use the splitter. I put a light coat of used oil on the beam and also spray a little wd40 on the valve control. COver it with tarp and wait till next scrounge. My question to the experts here is what else should I do when storing outside during in the future. Thanks in advance for any feed back and have a good day. TY

Here is a picture of our 20 ton MTD. Yes, it is under that tarp. We've had that splitter over 20 years now and stored it just like that until last year when we put up a new barn. I always made sure I laid down two boards under each tire and the other things you've mentioned.
Christmas-2008d-1.jpg

In some cases outside is better than inside. Some pole barns can sweat real bad and anything inside will condensate for day after the weather changes makes for a much worse condition that if it were outside. With a little precaution like you have already been doing and like others have mentioned it should be good to go for as many yrs outside as it would be inside.

My 10 yr. old splitter is outside. Ram retracted, beam greased, FUEL TANK FULL (with a smidgen of sea foam), then the tires on paver bricks. I notice the tires loose air much slower when they are of the ground. I got it out yesterday to split a couple of cords and it fired on the second pull, it had not been used since July or August....

I need to get some of this sea foam. Keep mine outside all the time as well.

shmodaddy said:
Search seafoam I know there's been several discussions on it. I'm a FIRM believer.
can it be picked up locally or ya need to order it?

I buy mine at Walmart or sometimes the parts store has a sale n pick up several bottles. Can be kinda pricy 6 or 7 dollars a bottle but it works.

Mine has been outside for 20 years. Solved the fuel problems by getting rid of the motor that needed fuel and finding a custom fit Little Tikes cover for the electric motor.

Attachments

• 082711 oak onion peeling.jpg
    082711 oak onion peeling.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 176
Status
Not open for further replies.