1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Splitting and stacking...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by KaptJaq, Dec 13, 2012.

1. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I've been splitting some of the 30"+/- rounds of red oak I have gathered and I've run into a problem. I only took clean rounds and they split too straight. When I stack them there is no air space between the splits. I have to consciously leave gaps as I stack. This wood is going to take up too much space to season, I guess I should just dump it :(

Good thing about this problem is that when I burn the wood I will be able to get more into the insert. Think stacking 4x4s in the stove. Once again I'll probably have to offset the rounds a little to let some air into the fire :).

KaptJaq

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Alternate the directions of the rows as you stack them...E-W the N-S then E-W...
    Backwoods Savage and albert1029 like this.
  3. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Just cross stack like Bob mentioned.

I'll remember the problems you are having & not become a wood snob. LOL :) :)

Imagine the nice boards that those logs could have made :)
    albert1029 likes this.
  4. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    They were all yard trees. To get clean rounds I left at least a third of the tree in the street...

KaptJaq
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Not sure I understand. Why leave them? Seems a waste. Also stacking those splits so they have air flow should be no problem.
  6. oldogy

oldogy Member

Loc:
    SE TN
    Yard trees are suspect to be nail infested.............As are fence row trees. Ask me how I know.
  7. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    Just took a big oak. Split and stacked same as you. 14" length...perfect for N--S loading in my insert...I stack my piles tight but I alternate as directed. Your oak will have to sit for a while....I don't think airflow will be an issue...There is plenty of air flow when the wind hits it. That is my oak and that is how I stack all my piles and they season fine and never fall over (yet, at least) photo.jpg
  8. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    dag gone i love oak!
  9. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Yard trees are constantly trimmed to get the desired appearance. They can have a few feet of straight trunk then a bulge where somebody cut off a branch and the remains are buried in the tree. Then another couple of feet of straight trunk before it splits into 3 or 4 12" limbs. I split by hand so on the 30" trunks I only took the straight sections. Even on the 12" limbs I only take straight sections. I leave the deformed sections where branches were cut off, the branch splits, and anything that looks like it had a hook, nail, fence, or anything else attached. There is still so much on the ground here I can be picky.

If I finish what I have gathered I can always go back for what I left on the first pass. At the rate our town is going it will be on the side of the road till spring.

Last year I would take anything. This year I am a wood snob.

KaptJaq