Splitting Axe or Splitting Maul???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After moving into a new house which came equipped with "my first wood burning stove", I've enjoyed getting out and cutting the wood to be used. I'm sitting pretty good but I have several rounds that need to be split. So off to Lowe's I go . . . .

I was dead set on buying my first splitting maul, then all of a sudden . . . . . there's this pretty new splitting axe on the shelf right next to the maul I was eyeing.

Now the way I think, if it's an axe it's cool! But does a splitting axe do the job as effectively as the maul? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

i think you're talking about the ames true temper splitting axe with the wedge on the sides. i have an assortment of axes the axe you're most likely referring to, a 6 lb maul, and 4 fiskars (2 splitting axes, a chopping axe and a hatchet). i have to say that although i prefer the fiskars for all around splitting straight non knotty wood, the axe i use most often during all-around splitting is the true temper axe. its light but packs a punch and if you come across a particularly stubborn piece of wood, its still going to be tough with any maul ive used. the one big down side to that axe is that sometimes it doesnt matter what youre swinging you're not going to get through some stubborn pieces without a wedge and a sledge. so the 6 lb maul also doubles as a sledge (DONT use the wedge axe as a sledge the epoxy will crack, i know from experience).

my suggestion is if youre serious about splitting about 1-2+ cords a year get the wedge axe, a good 6lb maul, and a wedge. total cost about 70 dollars. youll most likely use the wedge axe more often than the others but you'll be happy you opted for the extra pieces when the time comes.

Zildjian70DW said:
After moving into a new house which came equipped with "my first wood burning stove", I've enjoyed getting out and cutting the wood to be used. I'm sitting pretty good but I have several rounds that need to be split. So off to Lowe's I go . . . .

I was dead set on buying my first splitting maul, then all of a sudden . . . . . there's this pretty new splitting axe on the shelf right next to the maul I was eyeing.

Now the way I think, if it's an axe it's cool! But does a splitting axe do the job as effectively as the maul? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Are you effing kidding me?

I use 2 mauls and own 2 others. I use two axes and own at least 5. Mauls and axes are cheap, even expensive mauls and axes (I recommend expensive axes and cheap mauls) are cheap. Buy both.

Status
Not open for further replies.