Splitting Done Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Split that White Pine we took down Sunday, it was split horizontal because we had a bunch of smaller rounds.

zap 100_5008.JPG100_5009.JPG

My Christmas wish list will be a hydraulic splitter, until Santa answers, or my back gives out. ;)

Funny how there has to be a disclaimer when the splitter is like that.

I love pictures of Zap's enchanted forest....:)
Thanks SO, the 36 inch bar for the 075 & 090 came in the other day so I grabbed it today at our local shop. I might try milling the Hemlock with the 075 along with the 660 this weekend.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks SO, the 36 inch bar for the 075 & 090 came in the other day so I grabbed it today at our local shop. I might try milling the Hemlock with the 075 along with the 660 this weekend.

zap
pics Zap......LOTS of pics. And maybe even a little video too. ;)

Oregon Bigfoot, I would hate to split everything by hand, it is a hell of a workout.

Locust Post, with the size of the rounds I split tonight horizontal works better, bigger heavier rounds vertical is my choice.

zap

pics Zap......LOTS of pics. And maybe even a little video too. ;)

When I picked up the bar today (from the same guy I traded for the 090) he handed me the 090 manual in great shape.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5011.JPG
    100_5011.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: ScotO
Oregon Bigfoot, I would hate to split everything by hand, it is a hell of a workout.

Locust Post, with the size of the rounds I split tonight horizontal works better, bigger heavier rounds vertical is my choice.

zap
Just having some fun Zap. Dennis would be proud. I do most horizontal because I have the side table. I do go vertical on the monsters.

Split that White Pine we took down Sunday, it was split horizontal because we had a bunch of smaller rounds.

zap
Zap, Dennis is never gonna buy that;lol

zap

I know what you mean, it's sure a workout to hand split. Back in the 80's, I've cut/split/loaded 2 cords in a day a few times. Now, I can't split much more than 1/3 to 1/2 cord, and my back just screams, STOP! In fact, after the first split now, my back says CAUTION!

After I posted above, I went to a Wilco Farm Store in Silverton, OR, and looked at a couple Speeco splitters. The 22 ton was $1299 and the 35 ton was $1799. Oregon has no sales tax, so there is a little savings. Looks like it will be a few Chrismas's until I can afford one. :confused: I guess I'll be splitting by hand for a while longer, I have a lot of wood to process, as soon as it stops raining here. It's too muddy to get my truck to the piles I have in the queue. We do have warm/sunny days in the 70's "scheduled" starting Sunday for an extended period.

I like to split horizontal with the smaller sized rounds too. Seems easier, especially if right off the truck or trailer.
Having help stacking makes it really go quick.
No bending & easy on the back.

I know what you mean, it's sure a workout to hand split. Back in the 80's, I've cut/split/loaded 2 cords in a day a few times. Now, I can't split much more than 1/3 to 1/2 cord, and my back just screams, STOP! In fact, after the first split now, my back says CAUTION!

After I posted above, I went to a Wilco Farm Store in Silverton, OR, and looked at a couple Speeco splitters. The 22 ton was $1299 and the 35 ton was $1799. Oregon has no sales tax, so there is a little savings. Looks like it will be a few Chrismas's until I can afford one. :confused: I guess I'll be splitting by hand for a while longer, I have a lot of wood to process, as soon as it stops raining here. It's too muddy to get my truck to the piles I have in the queue. We do have warm/sunny days in the 70's "scheduled" starting Sunday for an extended period.

I was like you, many years of hand splitting, now I wouldn't be processing wood if I had to hand split. That might have been one (of many) thing that contributed to my back issues.
Start looking on CL & want ads, auctions. Even one that's not running, they're usually fairly cheap to fix. Will pay you back for many years to come. & help extend your wood processing career. :)

Zap - what are those bars holding the stacks up?

Reactions: zap
I've decided to no longer split my wood horizontally or vertically . . . I'm going to split it diagonally . . . and get the best of both worlds. ;)

Reactions: Gark and zap
I've decided to no longer split my wood horizontally or vertically . . . I'm going to split it diagonally . . . and get the best of both worlds. ;)
Pictures or it didn't happen:cool:

Will pay you back for many years to come. & help extend your wood processing career. :)
The purchase price of a log splitter is cheaper than one back problem and a lot less painful. Just say'in.

Zap - what are those bars holding the stacks up?

I asked that question a year ago or so and they told me they're posts they get from TSC, I guess its like a fence post you stick in the ground, they're cheap so its a cost effective way to hold up stacks. They dont work so good on my property since I have a ton of rocks and ledge.

I asked that question a year ago or so and they told me they're posts they get from TSC, I guess its like a fence post you stick in the ground,
Very commonly referred to as a "T" post.

I'm not sure what they are, Sav brought them all the way from his house! :cool:

zap

Wow zap, this must be bashing Dennis day. lol Weatherguy, like Jags stated, they are t-posts. For wood stacking the 5' or 6' should do the trick. Better still is to save the dollars and cross stack on the ends of the piles.

Reactions: tfdchief
Wow zap, this must be bashing Dennis day. lol .

Ha! You were mentioned in more threads recently than you know mister!;lol

Nice work zap...love the disclaimer about the splitter...
and don't think I did not see what you put in the last pic you bugger...I got my eye on you!Eye_anim.gif

Ya, I saw them Gamma. ;)

Ha! You were mentioned in more threads recently than you know mister!;lol

Nice work zap...love the disclaimer about the splitter...
and don't think I did not see what you put in the last pic you bugger...I got my eye on you!View attachment 66491

How did beverage day go? The pizza & wings tasted super.

zp

Status
Not open for further replies.