Splitting "semi-seasoned" black locust rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDXpyro

Burning Hunk
Oct 10, 2013
NW Oregon
Must say that I've been puzzled by the many online sources that cite black locust as a species that's difficult to split. I received a 2+ cord load late last summer, and after immediately splitting most of the difficult-looking stuff, stacked the straight-grained and relatively small (under 14") rounds as they were.

If I let these "season" as rounds for another year, or three, or four, will that be a regrettable decision? Never had any problem splitting BL by hand before; in fact it seems to *pop* apart far easier than most species, whether green or aged. Only had about two years' experience with locust, though... and that stack of rounds is mighty handsome!

Not a native species here, so noob question.

Last edited:
I'm with you, Black Locust is usually very easy to pop apart with a maul or axe. It sometimes can be stringy but I don't think leaving those small rounds for a while is going to affect how they split.

I've found black locust to split pretty similar to red oak.. Doesn't fly apart super easy, but isn't tough at all either.

I also haven't split much locust, so take that for what it's worth.

A freshly cut locust is usually a dream to split with a maul and letting it sit in rounds with be okay. But locust does get harder to split as it ages. Why not go ahead and split it up, let it season and be done with it. Perfect time of year to be working with firewood :)

The trouble with letting it sit in the round is not splitting, but seasoning. If you split it now it will season a lot faster and more thoroughly than it will if you leave it round. However, if you do let it sit I think you'll still be able to split it after a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.