Splitting some norway maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Got a chance to drag the splitter out back tonight and bust up some of the Norway maple I cut down last month (yeah, yeah, I preach the 'split it when you get it' principle and I didn't listen to myself, and its still piled up in the backyard!). Anyway, got over a half cord split up and stacked this evening. Still have around a cord to split, running out of stacking space at the house!

2012-05-22_19-09-45_975.jpg 2012-05-22_19-09-55_464.jpg 2012-05-22_19-14-01_717.jpg2012-05-22_19-13-32_809.jpg

It should split pretty easy with that spltter, looks like you have a good stash of wood.

I did the same Scotty. It was a good night for splitting since it was a little cooler but the heat is coming back. Forecast here says 90 this weekend. I did not stack just split so it might not be too bad to stack in the heat. I have already decided some red oak and american elm rounds are sitting until fall. I split mostly white oak and sugar maple tonight and I have some cherry and beech I would like to get split yet. The cherry for sure has to be split as I take a load every fall to a guy that lets me deer hunt.

Reactions: ScotO
90* would just plain suck!

It's been getting into the mid 60s here, not too bad.

Ya, looks like you have a bunch of wood stacked there! :cool:
I'm also trying to whittle down the pile of rounds that are lying on the ground. A few more days and I should be caught up. I've got some BL rounds on pallets, about two cords, but that can wait. Will probably even add to that stack before it eventually gets split. I'm also going to grab some White Oak and put those rounds on pallets as well...probably about a cord there. Then I'll focus on getting the in-laws further ahead, mostly on Red Oak that came down in storms, then some dead standing. Hopefully I can browbeat them into splitting the wood, so I don't have to do all the work. I guess I'll still have to stack most of it since most of the available stacking areas are in the woods, and they are afraid of poison ivy and ticks. :rolleyes: Their stacking chops definitely need work, though. Maybe this Winter when their working stacks need to be replenished...
90* would just plain suck!

It's been getting into the mid 60s here, not too bad.
Well, it's supposed to get up to 95 here for a couple of days. But the humidity will be low, down to about 40% in the afternoon, plus some breeze, so it'll be what I consider bearable weather. The handwriting is on the wall; I'll be working on wood all Summer again this year. I will avoid the nastiest hot and humid days, though...

See here it's more it's not winter so it's time to work outside. House construction explodes as does highway repairs and of course homeowner projects.

Looks good Scotty, running out of room just means you need to increase how much U burn! ==c

Nice Job
Zap

Did you do some noodling on some firewood?

Yeah noodled a couple really knarly pieces, that tree was pruned once or twice many moons ago and it had some crazy 'grow-overs' up high. Some really pretty curling in the wood, would have made some nice boards!

It should split pretty easy with that spltter, looks like you have a good stash of wood.
I probably have around 16 cord at the house, and around 10 more at my FIL's place. I'll use the stuff up there (mostly silver maple) when I'm cooking maple syrup next spring, I have at least three years worth for heating in my stacks at the house. Lots more to cut this summer, too. We have quite a few jobs lined up.

I did the same Scotty. It was a good night for splitting since it was a little cooler but the heat is coming back. Forecast here says 90 this weekend. I did not stack just split so it might not be too bad to stack in the heat. I have already decided some red oak and american elm rounds are sitting until fall. I split mostly white oak and sugar maple tonight and I have some cherry and beech I would like to get split yet. The cherry for sure has to be split as I take a load every fall to a guy that lets me deer hunt.

I have a cord that needs to be trimmed and some rounds split from my latest scrounge, I was hoping to get it done before the hot weather, if its opver 80 thats too hot for me. I already have 9-10 cords split and stacked so no rush but hate to have work waiting for me.

Split and stacked another cord this evening, that's all the maple I'm putting in the stack at home. The rest is going up to hunting camp. I have room for one more cord in my big stack, that's being saved for the white oak we're taking down next weekend. Time to get some more pallets and make a stacking area behind the little shed!! I still have four big honey locusts to do this summer and that stuff is staying HERE!
2012-05-23_18-37-47_634.jpg 2012-05-23_18-38-03_812.jpg 2012-05-23_18-58-57_527.jpg 2012-05-23_19-42-07_438.jpg 2012-05-23_19-42-17_42.jpg

Reactions: DexterDay
Split and stacked another cord this evening, that's all the maple I'm putting in the stack at home. The rest is going up to hunting camp. I have room for one more cord in my big stack, that's being saved for the white oak we're taking down next weekend. Time to get some more pallets and make a stacking area behind the little shed!! I still have four big honey locusts to do this summer and that stuff is staying HERE!
View attachment 67528 View attachment 67529 View attachment 67530 View attachment 67531 View attachment 67532

Oh come on Scotty you don't want that nasty honey locust laying around your place.

Looking good. A good days work.
Getting close to competing with BWSav. Very nice stacks.
Being ahead that far must feel pretty good.

you may have to add a second story to your stack.

Very nice end stacks.... I am OCD about my Cut length (18"-19")

What do use to ensure the same length splits. Everyone has a different method. I thought about getting a "Mingo" marker.

I use an old yard stick cut to 18.5"... Then use a paint stick and mark..

Always interested to see or hear new ideas ;)

Very nice end stacks.... I am OCD about my Cut length (18"-19")

What do use to ensure the same length splits. Everyone has a different method. I thought about getting a "Mingo" marker.

I use an old yard stick cut to 18.5"... Then use a paint stick and mark..

Always interested to see or hear new ideas ;)
Dexter I just 'wing' it. I cut with with athe buddy of mine and find it hard to cut in consistent lengths, so what it'll do is take a couple of larger rounds, split them into 'square' splits, and toss them aside. When I get enough of those splits I'll use them for the criss-cross end of the stack. Don't get me wrong, my wood is all fairly the same length, but I don't get too worried if it isn't perfect.

Looking good. A good days work.
Getting close to competing with BWSav. Very nice stacks.
Being ahead that far must feel pretty good.
BD, guys like you, Zap, Backwoods Savage, and tfdchief are the ones who set the high standard of which I can only HOPE to achieve someday;)

Status
Not open for further replies.