splitting super cedar starters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanningjw

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2008
Plymouth, Minnesota
Whats the best way to split up the super cedar fire starters? I tried breaking one up by hand and it did not want to cooperate. I had a sample from last year and it was easy to break up but not the new ones I tried last night. You might as well breakup them up to get more than 1 burn out of the puck.

Any ideas what the best way to break them up?

i just put one in a zip loc baggie and snap it in 1/2 then snap that in half again works fine and contains the crumbs

heck you could toss it in a zip loc and hit it on the the corner of say your counter top too

I snap off a third of one to get a fire going. I leave some crumbs on the hearth, but they get swept up with the ashes and redeposited in the stove when I get around to it.

Matt

With so many people splitting their Super Cedars, I wonder why they don't make them smaller (price commensurate). If more is needed, one could always double up.

LLigetfa said:
With so many people splitting their Super Cedars, I wonder why they don't make them smaller (price commensurate). If more is needed, one could always double up.

Thats a good Idea, put split line across the puck for easy break up.

I just got a box of them so they are new. It was kinda hard and messy trying to quarter them up. It was no big deal for a muscle guy like me...lol. but I was kinda thinking of the little guys.

Lanning said:
put split line across the puck for easy break up.
Another good idea. Perforate it down the middle in an X to halve or quarter.

8lb sledge and a wedge. works every time. :coolsmirk:

BeGreen said:
8lb sledge and a wedge. works every time. :coolsmirk:
BWS will be along shortly with a video essay of how he splits them with his hydraulic splitter sitting down. %-P

I use a pvc hose cutter. Pruning Shears would also work well.
Collect all the crumbs and put them in an old envelope and you got an extra starter!

Attachments

• splitting super cedar starters
    21I75vLwsEL__SL500_AA250_.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 561
LLigetfa said:

I agree that it would be nice to have a smaller one. The Super Cedar is individualy formed therefore I must maximize the total strokes per hour. I feel if customers need smaller ones they will break them apart. We have been fornunate to have a 20% growth this year. I produce 1300 per hour and am just keeping up at times. What you are asking me to do is keep the strokes at a smaller gross $. Now I bet your saying build another machine that makes smaller ones. I would need to spend about $150,000 to make 1300 quarters per hour. The percentage of customers wanting smaller ones is still a very small squeak but it is being heard. We just finished a private label for a well known east coast company who will be introducing it in Jan. 2010. They also have my attention with a 250,000 unit order of the original size. I will be offering a once a year discount to hearth members if this helps. Maybe I can ship them to Fossil and he can break them up for a minimum fee. Thank you for all the support over the years and helping to make my hobbie a full time business.

Thomas

LLigetfa said:
Lanning said:
put split line across the puck for easy break up.
Another good idea. Perforate it down the middle in an X to halve or quarter.
We do have a slight X score on them. It is under the label and should be seen when wrapper is opened.
Thomas

Lanning said:
Whats the best way to split up the super cedar fire starters? I tried breaking one up by hand and it did not want to cooperate. I had a sample from last year and it was easy to break up but not the new ones I tried last night. You might as well breakup them up to get more than 1 burn out of the puck.

Any ideas what the best way to break them up?
I would suggest using a box cutter to score deeper for a easier break.
Thomas

Hey Thomas! Are they formed by a press? What if a new mold and pressure platen (term?) were made so that with one stroke, 4 smaller molds were pressed?

NW Fuels said:
LLigetfa said:

I agree that it would be nice to have a smaller one. The Super Cedar is individualy formed therefore I must maximize the total strokes per hour.
Thanks for the explanation. As for the perforation, I have never seen your Super Cedar so wasn't aware there was one. Are they even available in Canada? I don't think I qualify for a free sample. Still, from what others are saying, it sounds like perhaps the score line is not quite deep enough.

BeGreen said:
Hey Thomas! Are they formed by a press? What if a new mold and pressure platen (term?) were made so that with one stroke, 4 smaller molds were pressed?
This can be done but not easy or cost efective. The R&R could take 5-6 hours to change the mold and (5) different cylinders. All this for a very few. It would be easier to send a box cutter if requested, or a device that cuts them into quarters. Same with the 8lb energy logs which have a special cutter.
Thomas

LLigetfa said:
NW Fuels said:
LLigetfa said:

I agree that it would be nice to have a smaller one. The Super Cedar is individualy formed therefore I must maximize the total strokes per hour.
Thanks for the explanation. As for the perforation, I have never seen your Super Cedar so wasn't aware there was one. Are they even available in Canada? I don't think I qualify for a free sample. Still, from what others are saying, it sounds like perhaps the score line is not quite deep enough.

I would be happy to send you samples. Vanessa at Embers has carried the Super Cedar for years.
Thomas

I cut around most of the top of the label with scissors to open it up, then I use a utility knife and stab it in a few times in both directions using Thomas' lines as a rough guide. I don't try to cut the things all the way through, just enough to facilitae a relatively clean break. Fold the wrapper back shut, and break it twice on the edge of my workbench. Dump the quarters in a plastic bucket. Takes like maybe 10 minutes to neatly quarter 8 or ten super cedars. I keep a bunch in an old covered aluminum pot next to the Lopi in the house, and the rest in the plastic bucket out by the shop stove. Only have to do that once a month or so...and we find ourselves lighting two stoves from cold pretty much every morning. I love super cedars. Rick

I find it pretty easy to break them up... I split in half, then each I half I break into 3 pieces which I find is plenty to get a fire started. I do break them in a plastic bag to contain the crumbles... and toss them on the wood when it builds up. This is a great product, never will use newspaper again.

NW Fuels said:
Thank you for the great suggestion. Should be easy and cheap to design with longer reach.
Thomas
Maybe you could throw one in with every 100 pack order. That should please the most frugal amongst us.

Wood burners are some of the most frugal people I've met. After all, many of us burn wood to save on our heat bill. Some other forums where it is hard to get people to part with their money are the FOSS (Free Open Source Software, GPL) ones. :zip:

Burn'em whole. Thomas' kids have to eat too ya know. :coolsmirk:

Just received the Super Cedars this morning Thomas. Thanks! We are heading into the thirties tonight so I will put one on top and see what happens.

BrotherBart said:
Burn'em whole. Thomas' kids have to eat too ya know. :coolsmirk:

Just received the Super Cedars this morning Thomas. Thanks! We are heading into the thirties tonight so I will put one on top and see what happens.

Not bad deliery time with a Saturday delivery on top of it.
Enjoy!
Thomas

Thomas,
Make sure you post the discount here, or give us some heads-up. I just bought a box of 100, but my buddy stole half! They're the best.

As for splitting them, it's kinda a ridiculous question since they're breakable by hand--at least the 25 or so I've used in the last two years were.

S

thinkxingu said:
Thomas,
Make sure you post the discount here, or give us some heads-up. I just bought a box of 100, but my buddy stole half! They're the best.

As for splitting them, it's kinda a ridiculous question since they're breakable by hand--at least the 25 or so I've used in the last two years were.

S

Oh no, did I ask another ridiculous question. I gotta stop doing that. Thanks for reminding me!

Status
Not open for further replies.