Splitting wood, fresh cut green vs dry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
This afternoon I grabbed a partial wheel-borrow load of Maple that was c/s/s last spring 2011. The plan today was to split it down even further and take some % moisture readings. Everything came in between 12 and 20% at the split with the average mostly around 15-16%. Understand I just purchased the splitter last spring running nearly 5 cords through it so far and had, until today, only split fresh cut wood. The surprising observation was the loud "CRACK" sound when this dry wood opened up for the ram. I'd never experienced that instant separation and pop apart noise with green wood. Just an observation. I believe it's ready to burn now after a summer in the sun and wind. By the way, I also grabbed some mulberry (yellow wood similar to hedge), cut at the same time ...... it's not ready, averaging about 24% and doesn't pop apart with the class of the maple.

I agree with your findings, Mulberry takes longer to dry than Maple (silver?).

Status
Not open for further replies.