1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Spray Foam Insulation

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Vic99, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.n.f.

d.n.f. New Member

Loc:
    Nelson BC
    I priced out that Tiger foam and it is almost as expensive as the pro guy. If I want to match the r- value I was quoted it would cost more. Granted we pay more for Tiger foam up here in Canada but it is the bloody shipping that kills it. Outrageous shipping costs.

I was thinking of spraying 1" on the garage ceiling (living space above) and ductwork to seal everything up. Could I then use Fiberglass bats below? I would then have two vapour barriers though. The six mil poly for the glass and the foam acts as a vapour barrier by itself. Not sure that would work?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mn_jon

mn_jon Member

Loc:
    northern minnesota
    we had the exterior 2X6 walls filled with closed cell eurythane foam. I don't know what the R value is (>30 i think) but it sure is warm when it hits -80. It doesnt settle over time and as mentioned before, it provides the vapor barrier. It was expensive and we were looking at it from the standpoint of saving $$$ on heating. Well I had a Kozyheat fireplace put in too, and now I don't think I'll be spending much on heat regardless of the insulation. You have to look at it both ways I guess. They spray foamed a 2200 square foot home with attached 2 car garage in less than a day. It goes on very fast and you do need to keep moving.

Jon
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.