Spring Mantel Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigwill

Hearth Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Southeast KS
Hey all! I am planning to install a limestone mantle this spring once the fire burning is over. I have two pieces cut to length (#1 = 8" X 20" X 2.5" and # 2 = 8" X 46" X 2.5") I have 2 bricks mortared (sp?) onto the brick wall to support each piece. When I went to place each of the limestone pieces one of the bricks was loose and I had to do a quick catch to prevent catastrophe to the stove. The shorter (#1) piece is in place but I am going to have to come up with a support for the longer one(#2). My brother thinks that if we use mortar-patch to remount the brick then it will be fine. My best friend said I should drill holes into the brick on both sides and use a bolt as rebar to make it stronger. My problems are these: 1. If I go to drilling holes it is going to be difficult to get everything level, even and "pretty"; 2. I don't know if the bricks will support the weight; 3. As of now the shorter piece (#1) is supported fine but I wouldn't be opposed to strengthening the supports but I am unsure of as to how; 4. Neither my brother or my best friend spent $4000 to get my Hearthstone Heritage installed nor will they be very quick to monetarily support a "redo" if it is destroyed!! :)

Additional info: Each brick that is mortared to the wall is sitting on a brick that is mortered at a 90 degree angle half into the wall and half out so the brick that it will sit on is 2 bricks thick for half of the brick and 1 brick thick for the outer half. The brick that came loose is the top brick on the longer run.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions are appreciated!!!

As always, thanks for everyone's time.

Without pictures it's a little hard to "see" what you are facing.. but as for supporting the weight, the bricks should be fine. I don't know for sure what the shear point is on a brick, but if the load is carried fairly evenly, and the brick is 50% supported by the brick below it, it will be pretty high, and mortared bricks support both the brick above, and below them. Your mantel is not very heavy compared to the weight of all the bricks above that are being supported, and the weight is carried up close to or against the brick veneer. As long as it is anchored so it can't move, all should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.