Spruce pointe vs. north country

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mnkywrnch

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 8, 2008
Baldwinville ma
I figured I would share my findings with these two pellets.Outside temp was 35*F stove on setting 2 out of 5 damper 80% closed air registering 140*F inside temp 73* first floor 68* second floor for the north country.Spruce pointe outside temp 25* with a 14mph wing gust stove on setting 2 of 5 damper 80% closed air registering200* inside temp 77* first floor 72* second floor.Well after that little unscientific test I can tell you without a hesitation I will be buying canadian softwoods from now on.I found similar findings with eagle valley and lg granules.

I also had good results with SPRUCE POINTE......I often wonder why more people aren't burning soft wood, costs less per ton and more heat output...IMO

I had similar results. I just burned a ton of premier pellets and was completely happy. They were good heat and very low ash, virtually maintaince free. I have since burned about 10 bags of spruce point (2.4 tons in garage). I am a bit discouraged about the buildup in the burn pot. I have to clean it out every other day, as the flame gets choked down and clinkers protrude out and cantilever almost to the glass. I previously only cleaned it every two or three weeks. The good thing is, I was amazed without any insturments I was easily able to notice a much higher heat output.

Harman xxv

Status
Not open for further replies.