Square file size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ZipFunk

Apr 8, 2015
Canada
Hi guys,

I just bought a Stihl 261 yesterday after the old echo died. The stihl is by far the more superior machine. A lot probably has to do with the chain. It’s square filed. I love it. But I now have to get a square file as my files are round. The box says I need a 3/16 round file but I didn’t know if that measurement would translate to the square file as well. I’m uploading a picture of the box.
Any advice here would be great. Thanks in advance.
Drew

EDIT:
I've been surfing to find square files (or hexagon) and I don't seem to see any in the 3/16 size, (The box says 3/16 round file) just round files.
Is this something that Canadian Tire or Home Depot etc will have normally?
Most searches bring me to round files as I've said.
Am I searching with the wrong wording.

Attachments

• 73B949A7-C5E0-4A51-9D58-B47FDCF10078.jpeg
    73B949A7-C5E0-4A51-9D58-B47FDCF10078.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Was it a new saw?
I don't think new chains come square filed.
Post a pic of your chain.
Square filed isn't done with a square file,you need a" goofy" file.

IMG_4837.JPG

Hopefully that's a good enough picture. I've uploaded a picture of the box in the first post.
I'm now not sure what kind of file it is. Maybe its the inside of the tooth that's making me think its a square file.
the model is 23 RS Pro 74
If its a regular round file that actually makes my life easier.

I have an MS261 and I have no idea what you're talking about. I use a pferd for a .325 pitch chain.

Doing more reading I think its a chisel chain (?) and just looks like a square filed chain.
Does that make sense?
Drew
Looks like a .325 pitch full chisel chain and you probably had a full chisel safety chain on before. This chain will need to be sharpened more often but will be more aggressive in the cut.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Hi SpaceBus
Thank you for your reply. I think you’re right from what I’ve read. The full chisel chains are great. I’ll touch it up with my 3/16 round file tonight.
Thanks again for the insight. The stihl is a new chain for me (old ones were Oregon) and I didn’t want to wreck it.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Hi SpaceBus
Thank you for your reply. I think you’re right from what I’ve read. The full chisel chains are great. I’ll touch it up with my 3/16 round file tonight.
Thanks again for the insight. The stihl is a new chain for me (old ones were Oregon) and I didn’t want to wreck it.
I think you will like cutting with the full chisel vs the semi chisel safety chain, just be more cognizant of kickback.

There are square ground full chisel and round ground full chisel, not the same. Most folks don't have square ground chains.

Reactions: duramaxman05
That chain is full chisel round filed, Square filed is very distinctive looking. I will try to post up some pics of some square ground chain & the couple pics of a file.

That's all I run now is full chisel chains, much better performance / longevity then semi chisel chains, like what others mentioned, full chisel gives a more aggressive cut, the trade off's that I notice are that if you hit dirt you will have to sharpen almost immediately, and kick back potential when cutting towards the front of the bar seems greater.
I think the rule of thumb here is when felling tree's its better to use a semi chisel chain, when bucking logs from lengths full chisel is best.
BTW - I sharpen everything with a round file now, 5 - 6 strokes per tooth is all that it needs in most cases.

Again get a 2in1 ( doesn't who's) sharpener ..you'll be amazed .. ;)

That's all I run now is full chisel chains, much better performance / longevity then semi chisel chains, like what others mentioned, full chisel gives a more aggressive cut, the trade off's that I notice are that if you hit dirt you will have to sharpen almost immediately, and kick back potential when cutting towards the front of the bar seems greater.
I think the rule of thumb here is when felling tree's its better to use a semi chisel chain, when bucking logs from lengths full chisel is best.
BTW - I sharpen everything with a round file now, 5 - 6 strokes per tooth is all that it needs in most cases.
Why do you like semi chisel for felling? It seems most box store saws come with semi chisel because it's less "grabby" for most people.

Reactions: Deets
These are what I have been using. Vallorbe. Some folks use triangle files for square filing. Square filing is in league of its own, I am just starting to work with it & there is definitely a learning curve getting the angles & file location correct.

Attachments

• E1569012-B88D-4521-9040-5A0E07F548A5.jpeg
    E1569012-B88D-4521-9040-5A0E07F548A5.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 174
  • C9E8C402-AEE1-4F15-88AC-67E6001806F1.jpeg
    C9E8C402-AEE1-4F15-88AC-67E6001806F1.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 62E1D74F-F5B4-48E6-AEF7-A4C78EADB247.png
    62E1D74F-F5B4-48E6-AEF7-A4C78EADB247.png
    760 KB · Views: 193
  • DBC13A33-1B5E-4F56-9021-71676637031F.png
    DBC13A33-1B5E-4F56-9021-71676637031F.png
    774.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 3D585CCD-9352-4827-8F1C-626A23B66B97.jpeg
    3D585CCD-9352-4827-8F1C-626A23B66B97.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 6FC574A1-4849-49FC-9ED1-CE52ACAF92C0.jpeg
    6FC574A1-4849-49FC-9ED1-CE52ACAF92C0.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 7CF25A34-38AF-4018-8F7E-12E6BDD260FC.png
    7CF25A34-38AF-4018-8F7E-12E6BDD260FC.png
    687.6 KB · Views: 174
These are what I have been using. Vallorbe. Some folks use triangle files for square filing. Square filing is in league of its own, I am just starting to work with it & there is definitely a learning curve getting the angles & file location correct.
How do you like square ground compared to round while cutting? Do you think it would be worth it for milling? Are there electric grinder setups for square ground?

Why do you like semi chisel for felling? It seems most box store saws come with semi chisel because it's less "grabby" for most people.
Box stores sell semi-chisel low kickback because ( most ) folks that purchase from them don’t know beans about the saw they are using, the chain they are using or the different characteristics of different types of chain & generally have little idea about chain safety. It’s a CYA for them from lawsuits from said folks. I used to just take whatever the dealer handed me until I started talking to some folks that had way more experience than I did then started researching a bit & trying to understand different types of chain. By no means am I or do I consider myself an expert on all things chain or chainsaw related others will likely forget more than I will ever know. As far as semi-chisel for felling: it works better in dirty conditions, in theory more dirt around the base of the tree. Or at least that’s my guess as to why some folks do it that way.

How do you like square ground compared to round while cutting? Do you think it would be worth it for milling? Are there electric grinder setups for square ground?
Square ground is definitely faster cutting as far as felling & bucking. I have read some posts from people that use square ground to mill with & say it works great. I think new square ground is 20* top plate angle but don’t quote me on that. The only company that I know of that makes new square ground grinders is Simington, they are about $1200. Silvey used to manufacture them but doesn’t any more,they made a couple different types. There was a company called Ziegelmeyer ( I think) that used to make them. Use square grinders sell like hot cakes & they retain there value also.

Square ground is definitely faster cutting as far as felling & bucking. I have read some posts from people that use square ground to mill with & say it works great. I think new square ground is 20* top plate angle but don’t quote me on that. The only company that I know of that makes new square ground grinders is Simington, they are about $1200. Silvey used to manufacture them but doesn’t any more,they made a couple different types. There was a company called Ziegelmeyer ( I think) that used to make them. Use square grinders sell like hot cakes & they retain there value also.
Without having something to work as a jig I probably won't be trying to square grind anything, as much as I'd like to try. My hand filing skills just aren't that good.

Here’s some better pics of square file off of a Silvey done by someone that knows what they are doing.
24BD7DD6-4F65-45EC-8033-C0B3F05C8501.jpeg
655B860B-B875-438C-AABB-D0BDCFC058D4.jpeg

Reactions: Deets
Here’s a link to a square file video that is very useful in showing how the file placement creates the tooth geometry. What each edge of the file is doing. It has English subtitles & pictures of the cutter & file.

Scroll down to the 8th post & the video I was referring to is posted there.

After watching some of those videos cutting decent sized logs with fairly small saws has me very curious indeed.

Wow, no kidding on those square grinders. Seems like they start at five figures. I'll stick to round ground square cutters.

Reactions: Zack R