Square file size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I use a double bevel file for square filing. Takes a little learning but it’s mostly all I run. Way more efficient at actually cutting the wood fibers instead of grabbing and tearing them. That’s why square is faster and smoother.
E030DBE0-7775-48F0-81C0-EB4AF23918F2.jpeg

I'm thinking about trying a tri-corner file in my Granberg File N' Joint once I get another loop or two of ripping chain. I found this website: http://treefalling.com/ dedicated to square filed chain. Unfortunately a Silvey grinder is not in the budget, but I wish.

Reactions: Deets
I'm thinking about trying a tri-corner file in my Granberg File N' Joint once I get another loop or two of ripping chain. I found this website: http://treefalling.com/ dedicated to square filed chain. Unfortunately a Silvey grinder is not in the budget, but I wish.
You will have to buy a Simington if you want a new one, they don’t make Silveys anymore. So since the square grinder is out, you will have to stick to files.

Reactions: Deets
I'm still perfecting my technique with the Granberg setup, but now that I'm better at it even my 1/4 micro chains sling chips. Can't even find any Silvey or Simington grinders on ebay....

Reactions: JimBear
You wouldn’t want to find a Silvey on FleaBay, you would most likely have a coronary from the asking/auction price. Simington’s are found occasionally but usually only about $200 - $300 less than new. Madsens or Baileys is about the only place I saw them for sale. Madsens was about $100 cheaper last time I looked.

simington is the only sq grinder now made. the silvey sdm4 and razor are much better units and if you see one for sale they are worth their weight in gold. The ziggy is supposed to be the ultimate unit hasn't been made in many years . I found one u tube video of it( which only showed the action of the unit) but not the whole thing. The différance is the simington is a swing arm unit, wheel in a horz. position ( silvey made one that way also) where as the others look more like the currently available grinders from Tecomec ( Italian) and clones ( Oregon grinders are also tecomecs. I call these chop saw style units) but the mechanical operation is different Square grinding and filing are an art unto themselves. As to the simington unit ( i have one ) so far I find it very frustrating. It would be different if I wasn't doing this commercially where things have to be dang near perfect and had a lot more time to fiddle with it.

simington is the only sq grinder now made. the silvey sdm4 and razor are much better units and if you see one for sale they are worth their weight in gold. The ziggy is supposed to be the ultimate unit hasn't been made in many years . I found one u tube video of it( which only showed the action of the unit) but not the whole thing. The différance is the simington is a swing arm unit, wheel in a horz. position ( silvey made one that way also) where as the others look more like the currently available grinders from Tecomec ( Italian) and clones ( Oregon grinders are also tecomecs. I call these chop saw style units) but the mechanical operation is different Square grinding and filing are an art unto themselves. As to the simington unit ( i have one ) so far I find it very frustrating. It would be different if I wasn't doing this commercially where things have to be dang near perfect and had a lot more time to fiddle with it.
I want perfect or nearly perfect cutters for my mill. The better I set up the chain the better my experience goes making boards. I've discovered even a few thousandths of an inch difference between each side of the cutters can really mess things up. Maybe some day I'll snag a square ground machine, but I don't have the time for hand filing or learning another technique right now.

Can you square file a semi-chisel cutter? I just realized my ripping chain are not square chisel cutters and neither is the fancy Stihl 63 PMX chain.