Square FootAge vs BTU Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if the xxv will be better than the 43 or if the sure bet is 61

Looking at the manuals, the max feed rate of your P43 is 5.5 pounds/hour... the max of the XXV is 5.7 That's not a very big difference IMO.

The room the stove was in ran on stove temp 5 feed rate 4 and high fan for a few hours. Upstairs living room and kitchen ended up being 74 when I went to bed.

Go bigger, I just installed a p 61a in my house but if I could do it over I would have gone with a 68. Price difference is minimal. I am heating 2500 square feet at around 70 degrees, give or take a few degrees in different areas, but when it gets in the teens I have to crank it all the way up. I do have a 500 sq ft room that has ton of glass and skylights, I'm sure once I get proper window treatments that will help, but I do regret not going bigger. I doubt a 61 a can handle 3500 sq feet in a cold environment.

The room the stove was in ran on stove temp 5 feed rate 4 and high fan for a few hours. Upstairs living room and kitchen ended up being 74 when I went to bed.
Well ok then . Do you still think you need a different stove?

Reactions: chken
So I guess that experiment was good, so I am asking this q then - if you run the p61 at say 3 or 4 on stove temp to achieve what the p43 did last night at 5 -is that the only difference, or am I going to be burning more pellets too

And lastly, do you think that switching up from p43 to xxv will only be cosmetic. If I am trying to have the option to get things really hot - then 61 is the choice?

So I guess that experiment was good, so I am asking this q then - if you run the p61 at say 3 or 4 on stove temp to achieve what the p43 did last night at 5 -is that the only difference, or am I going to be burning more pellets too

And lastly, do you think that switching up from p43 to xxv will only be cosmetic. If I am trying to have the option to get things really hot - then 61 is the choice?
Was it not cold out last night up there? Does it get way colder than it was ?

ya it can get much colder. It was about -10 with wind chill around -17 last night and today the same.

ya it can get much colder. It was about -10 with wind chill around -17 last night and today the same.
The P 61 will offer some head room for reserve when it gets colder. The xxv will heat differently and offer less reserve. The P61 is a moderate plus upgrade in heating power. The Xxv a modest step up. Not sure how the xxv convection heat would compare. Bottom line, the P61 is rated for your sq ft nicely. IMO you want a stove rated a bit over your houses sq ft, not less. Will it use more pellets? Most likely yes. Any time you make more heat you burn more fuel given closely equal efficiency. The P 61 I believe is 78% efficient. Not sure how the xxv is rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.