squaring off/ removing fireplace arch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_milburt

Dec 5, 2015
calgary
Hey first post, appologies if this is in the wrong location.

We just removed an old gas insert and are going back to wood burning. Now I want to add a pleasent hearth doors from lowes however it requires you attach to the lintel and the opening be squared. I do not have a lintel, however and ok drilling into te brick but I would need to remove the arch. Based on these pictures can anyone tell if the arch is decorative or load bearing?

IMG_3048.JPG IMG_3049.JPG IMG_3065.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3066.JPG
    IMG_3066.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 205
That is a massive ammout of work just t oput some doors on an open fireplace.What are your goals with the fireplace? Are you trying to heat or just ambiance? It can be done but it is pretty involved and not a very diy friendly project

Well that is the wrong product madison. They already have a fireplace they dont need a zeroclearance fireplace just an insert

It's mostly for the appeal of wood burning. Not a large room so heat isn't the biggest factor.

We considered getting a wood burning insert but for the price I just wanted something cheap in the mean time.

I went to lowes and measured some of the doors and figured it will fit with the arch. I would just need to drill the bracket (that normally attached to the lintel) directly into the arch bricks. Which may also be risky.

Does the chimney itself need to be inspected?

Status
Not open for further replies.