Squatter Ants

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I was splitting up a hickory tree and found a colony of BIG black ants inside a hidden dead section. Biggest I've ever seen in Virginia - ants honestly up to an inch long. It was a cold day so they stayed bunched up in nasty tight balls of ants. Usually ants fall off of (or out of) logs and vacate when I am splitting so the splits wind up more or less ant-free. But these guys stayed put. I didn't want them wintering over in my woodpile so I put the infested splits in a big bucket. I figured they would start stirring, fall out and die on the following cold days. But nope, after several nights of below-20 weather they are still balled up and still alive.

At this point I am now more intrigued than worried (although still disgusted) and keep checking on them. I can also see a mass of white eggs down below them further in the crevice they inhabit. I know I could give them a shot of some napalm but was expecting the cold to get rid of then naturally. I wonder just how cold it has to be?!?!

Sounds like great fuel for an outdoor bonfire to me.

Once it warms up they will leave.
Put the splits in the sun, they like moisture too.

We've had that problem occasionally in white ash or even black cherry. If we have a hot fire, I might just throw an ant loaded log right into the fire then. But the best thing I've found is wild turkeys! One year I was splitting a bunch of wood and found loads of the big black ants. An idea struck. Went to the barn and got a bucket of birdseed. Went behind the house where the turkeys always cross and drew a line from there to the woodpile with birdseed. Just a light line is all you need. Within a couple hours, sure enough, there come the turkeys. They cleaned up those ants fast. Only problem was they came every day for a while looking for more but that only lasted a few days. I also discouraged them when I'd see them, I'd just chase them off.

btw, turkeys and deer are very common in our yard. We've even had fawns born in our yard! They are very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.