1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

St Croix York owners....what's your favorite pellet?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by skibumm100, Oct 23, 2012.

1. skibumm100

skibumm100 Member

Loc:
    southern NH
    For the St Croix York owners, what pellets do you like? I'm in southern NH and I'm pellet shopping. I can't try them in my stove yet (cause it's not installed) and I would like to get some pellets while they're still plentiful. I have some NEWP's that came with the stove (bought used) and I've seen GT's, GS's, Maine Choice and Fireside Ultra's at the local big box stores. I live near Derry. Since the Versa-grate burnpot is a little different than some stoves, does it help burning certain pellets? My guess would be "no" and that it's a gimmick when burning wood pellets. Just looking for a place to start with pellets, although I do have some NEWP's.

TIA

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bbfarm

bbfarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    wisconsin
    I have a St Croix, but not the York. Is the York a multifuel stove?

I really can't recommend any pellets for you since I live in a different part of the country and don't have those brands, but I can say that our stove being a multi fuel and having the versa grate can tackle just about any type of pellet we throw at it and burn them well without clinkers.
  3. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    York burns just about everything good. The versagrate is a must in this stove it really reduces clinker and pot buildup.
  4. Estarrio

Estarrio Member

Loc:
    Mass / RI
    I love the versagrate! Just make sure to keep it well lubricated to avoid noise issues.

I found hardwoods work best in my York. I really like Barefoot for hardwood.