Stack Temperature and Burning Efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
heaterman said:
Gasifier said:
Gasifier, I use a Noshok that I got off Ebay. There are others on there. This is a high quality immersion thermometer with about a 4†stem, list is probably $125.00 to $150.00, I paid $27.00 + ship. I drilled(filed) about a 3/4†hole in the pipe & just threaded the stainless nipple in. No electronics to go bad, works every time, Randy You want one that goes to about 1000f

I can only find one on Ebay that comes close to that temp. 150-750 Deg. F = $131.50 Ouch! :wow: That's Noshok therm..

Here is one, not sure on quality. Any of you guys use one of these? Or have an opinion on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Bimetal-T...562?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a64ace102

For that kind of money you might as well go buy a Fluke 116 HVAC meter and be able to measure pipe temps for your supply and return as well as flue temps up to 750* (if you exceed that you know you're in trouble anyhow so who cares if it will go to 1000) plus have a nice multimeter to boot. I think you can get one from Grainger for around $150 or so if you watch for sales. Lot's of HVAC supply houses will carry that meter also. It's an extremely useful instrument for working around HVAC stuff of all kinds.

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/Digital-Multimeters/Fluke-116.htm?PID=55994&trck=116

I have a Fluke 287 and a fluke IR. I was thinking about hooking up my 287 and data logging a full burn just to see what the temps do over a cycle.

You can find a K-type probe on eBay with various probe lengths and temperature ranges. Here is one with a 4" probe and 1292F range: Probe.

You then can get a PID controller so you can do more than monitor the flue temp or a K-type digital panel meter to monitor temps. I happen to have both, first the panel meter which is on my monitoring panel, and then I added a PID which also monitors as well as shuts down the draft fan if the temp gets too high. The probe is inserted into the flue center about 12" above the L exiting from the Tarm. Typical operating temperatures before are 380-420F, high about 460F. I also have the chain turburlators which I made and installed myself. Before the turbulators temps were up to about 100F higher.

For a K-type digital panel meter: Panel For a PID controller: PID

Other probes, PID's and meters are readily available. These are only examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.