Stack Wood on Lengthwise Splits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
In lieu of messing with pallets on uneven ground, I was thinking of stacking the wood on pieces going the length of the stack.
I think I've done this in the past, but my memory isn't that good anymore.
Anybody else done this?

I'm not much of a stacker, so I know any pile I tried to make like that would fall down.

What I do (and I make my stacks 6.5 feet high) is put down a layer of small limbwood and then stack everything else on top of that. The piece in contact with the ground is the only one that is too wet to use when you go to recover the wood, so you're not "wasting" much wood. Then I just rotate those small rounds into a higher place in next year's pile.

I realize that you won't get the airflow with this method that pallets afford, but if you're far enough ahead on your wood (like a year), then it's not an issue, because it all dries out anyway.

Reactions: Lewiston
Thanks Eric. 6.5 feet! Last time I tried to go "high" it all fall down and go boom.
I'll try to go higher again-will be able to store more wood in a smaller space.

Hi velvet,

I do exactly what you want to do. Except that I got smart (or lazy) and went to Lowes and picked up some 8 ft landscape timbers. Strong, cheap ($4 a piece), treated so they won't rot and because they are 8 ft, you know exactly when you stacked a face cord!!!

I use snow fence support for the sides. Dig 1 ft., hammer them in a little more and fil the hole. Takes all but 15 minutes to make a 2 face cord rack (I make it 16 ft long).

Thanks

Carpniels

PS. the landscape timbers last for years and ALL your wood is dry and can be burnt. Also. lots of airmovement too!!!!

velvetfoot said:
Thanks Eric. 6.5 feet! Last time I tried to go "high" it all fall down and go boom.
I'll try to go higher again-will be able to store more wood in a smaller space.

I use the Eric Johnson method. I use metal fence posts 12' apart, and when I stack about 2/3 of the way up I tie rope from post to post to keep the posts from bowing out. I can stack 6' high this way, and so far no fall down and go boom.

I have an old shed with a very dry floor so I am stacking about 10-12 cords there. Have some 4x4's around and decided to use them for a raised platform in a wetter area. I like to go 6 feet high and I'm getting better at stacking - but I think I'll add the fence posts. I've read that some of you tie a rope or twine to a piece at one end to help keep the stack straight. Is it worth the effort?

I'm cutting some doug fir, maple, a little oak - whatever is free. Question. Do any of you make separate piles or sections for your hard and soft wood? Should I be too concerned about having softer wood available to burn in early fall and late spring? Seems too complicated. Not sure I can even tell what some of the wood is.

If you tie polypropylene rope between the posts and stack wood on top of the rope, like Todd is suggesting, the rope will hold everything together and you can get a nice, straight, tall stack as long as you want. So yes, I think it's worth doing, if for no other reason than it takes up less space on the ground.

The only time it's really important to have all hardwood is during the coldest weather, when you want to get as many btus as you can out of a firebox full of wood. But once you figure out how to tell the difference between the two (weight is a good indicator, as is the bark), then you'll find yourself burning the softwood during warmer weather and using the hardwood when it gets colder.

bcnu said:
I have an old shed with a very dry floor so I am stacking about 10-12 cords there. Have some 4x4's around and decided to use them for a raised platform in a wetter area. I like to go 6 feet high and I'm getting better at stacking - but I think I'll add the fence posts. I've read that some of you tie a rope or twine to a piece at one end to help keep the stack straight. Is it worth the effort?

I'm cutting some doug fir, maple, a little oak - whatever is free. Question. Do any of you make separate piles or sections for your hard and soft wood? Should I be too concerned about having softer wood available to burn in early fall and late spring? Seems too complicated. Not sure I can even tell what some of the wood is.
I've been stacking my wood by the cord which takes about two pallets per cord. (pallets are pretty easy to come by) I use the crisscross method on the ends and go about 5'+ in height. I've learned that I need about 4-5 cords per year so I stack the first cord I dig into with smaller and smaller and softer woods as I near the top so that's what I use first in early fall. As I move on to the next cord the pieces are gettin larger and a higher ratio of hardwood etc thru the middle of my supply and then start back down in the size and amount of hardwood as I get towards the last cord of wood. I also have several cords of really good hardwood stacked that I can get to anytime I need it and probably will do the same with the a cord of really small and soft stuff too in case I've misjudged my particular needs at any point through the season. But at virtually all times I have somewhat of a mix, mostly small stuff with a little harder, larger stuff each end and mostly larger hardwood with a little smaller softer stuff in the mid-winter times. I do have some special piles though, like my apple pile and my hickory pile just when I want some extra fragrance. Yeah it's work but I like having it just the way I want it you know? My friends think I'm a fanatic but they don't burn wood so what do they know?

Status
Not open for further replies.