Stacked stone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johng

Hearth Supporter
Jan 24, 2009
North East Florida
I am making progress on my stove in stall. I took out a prefab fireplace and am putting in a Jotul F500. I have the chimney in which is 6in duratec insulated chimney in a chase going straight up 14 feet, the stove pipe is going to be about 6-7feet. I am going to have to go with a protected wall with a one inch air space. I would like to use stacked stone behind the stove all the way to the ceiling which will be ten feet.

Has anyone used stacked stone like this before. It will end up being about 9-10inches from the stove? Any recomendations? I will be finishing the walls real soon and need to make a decesion on what to cover them with. Thanks.

Yes, that is the look I am looking for. Mine is a corner install, but I will put a small diagonal wall in the corner. I think it will make the stove stand out more. That will give me three walls to cover and make more work but it will look better. I am a little nervous about the stacked stone being too time consuming. So a product like yours might be better. Thanks.

Sounds cool, the stone is pretty thick but is random as you can see. So the seam at the corners may be hard but with patience I bet it will look great!

If you want some pics of a corner install for ideas, see the link in the signature. Description of the material etc is in the thread linked below. I'll be posting some updated pics in a week or so, as the class A is being painted this week, as well as the stove room and the room with the chimney.

Just a heads up, the stone is considered part of the combustionable wall, so clearances are to the face of the stone, not the wall behind the stone. But if you have the airspace, that could change things, except , would the substrate that the stone is mounted on be combustionable?

I believe there are slim metal "tabs" that you could nail to the substrate, to help "tie" the stone to the wall/substrate.

Cultured stone could possibly stack more securely than real stone if you are not an experienced mason.

Status
Not open for further replies.