Stackenpilezenhausen: The Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
With Dennis' post about wood shrinkage I thought it was time for an update on The Stackenpilezenhausen.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/38518/

Here is it 15 months ago

IMG_2463.jpg

and here it is today

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

So, ballpark, I would say it has shrunk about 6 inches.

Yep, I've noticed some shrinkage in my wood shed as well. When I built a couple HH's a few years ago, I marked a 4x4 that was in the middle and the pile shrunk about 6" after a year. Looks like your wood is ready to go Wendell.

Ok Wendell, I don't believe its the same pile, unless you added some t-bars to it and two more rows.

Was that stacked fresh cut/split?

gzecc said:
Ok Wendell, I don't believe its the same pile, unless you added some t-bars to it and two more rows.

Look at oddly shaped splits and the fence. The back rows are the same.

Matt

My wood shrinks when it is cold

Shrinkage or keeping the house warm?

gzecc said:

If you read the original thread (which is pretty funny if I do say so myself) I say their are 2 more rows to go.

Well, I pride myself on smart-ass comments and what-not, but honestly your stack looks nice. The wire mesh is a nice touch to contain the eventual toppling that can occur as your wood dries out. I totally respect the fact, that even though your wood is old and dry, you can handle a loss of 6", and be positive. My hat's off to you, stud! :lol:

Thanks! I lay claim to be the world's worst stacker. No matter how careful I am it always seems to start leaning soon after so I knew with 14" wood stacked almost 6' high, I needed something to keep it all standing.

I will be curious to see how the wood is this fall when I start dismantling it, having dumped my chunks in between the rows. Fortunately, if it is not all ready, I will only need to use half of it this winter so if the middle didn't dry enough, I can cherry pick out the best for this year and leave the rest for next.

Hey, good word choice, Stackenpilezenhausen. Jags doesn't have that one trademarked yet. :lol:

Wendell, What species of wood is it?

Beetle-Kill said:
Well, I pride myself on smart-ass comments and what-not, but honestly your stack looks nice. The wire mesh is a nice touch to contain the eventual toppling that can occur as your wood dries out. I totally respect the fact, that even though your wood is old and dry, you can handle a loss of 6", and be positive. My hat's off to you, stud! :lol:

Hey, don't let Wendell of the hook so easy. I thought he was building a barnyard to hold the cows in until I learned he was stacking wood instead! Some day I'm going across the pond to visit that man and try to teach him how to stack wood. :lol: ;-)

Okay Wendell, are we still friends after this?

Dennis, anybody that wants to come stack my wood is an extra special friend of mine!!

It is all elm.

Cluttermagnet said:
Hey, good word choice, Stackenpilezenhausen. Jags doesn't have that one trademarked yet. :lol:

It has been submitted as of 08/12/2010 4:52 p.m. central time (-6)

You hypocrite!

From July 8, 2009

Jags said:
wendell said:
Jags said:
Woodsman_WI said:
How long do you leave your wood to season in heap-hausens (still love this term!).....

Your welcome. :)

Actually, I think my stackenpilzenhausen is better. %-P

Too many syliba..scilab...sylybl....letters. %-P

Just funnin ya, Jags! :cheese:

Sure sign of age - 6" shrinkage.
It has happened to me, too.... :-(

maplewood said:
Sure sign of age - 6" shrinkage.
It has happened to me, too.... :-(

***snicker, snicker***

-6 = timezone not inches.

Status