Stacking 6 cord in a space 35' x 5' - opinions/advice wanted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
it sounds like a lot of you fellas have had success stabilizing stacks by tying them together with longer splits. I've got a bunch of old off-cuts from a deck project still laying around, so i think i will weave some of these into the stacks as suggested. The area where i'm going to stack is also pretty sloped, so it will likely take 3 cinder blocks stacked underneath the pallets on the one side to level out flush with the pallet sitting right on the ground on the other side. I would like to come up with an alternative to stacking on pallets, because i don't have nearly enough to support the size of this stack. maybe just use some more of the offcuts underneath, with supporting blocks every 8 ft?
I use mostly 8' landscape timbers 3"x5" (the ones with the rounded sides), with three cinder blocks per 8'. I tried two cinder blocks, it was not enough.

Reactions: MissMac
Last year I did some 12' and 24' long single stacks (16" splits) at around 5' high. They were on 2x10x12 PT boards on top of cinder blocks. We get a lot of high winds and nothing ever toppled (had them stacked for about seven months before I moved everything into the shed). The double stack was more secure obviously. No banding, no side supports, just took my time making the end cribbing and the stacks didn't move.

DSC00335.JPG
DSC00334.JPG

Last year I did some 12' and 24' long single stacks (16" splits) at around 5' high. They were on 2x10x12 PT boards on top of cinder blocks. We get a lot of high winds and nothing ever toppled (had them stacked for about seven months before I moved everything into the shed). The double stack was more secure obviously. No banding, no side supports, just took my time making the end cribbing and the stacks didn't move.

View attachment 256785View attachment 256786
those are some sharp looking stacks sir - thanks for posting! this is exactly what i hope to recreate at my place this spring.

Reactions: EODMSgt
those are some sharp looking stacks sir - thanks for posting! this is exactly what i hope to recreate at my place this spring.
You'll notice those stacks are on very level ground. When you are working on a slope, every block or brick or stone or treated wood scrap is a unique element, to make your foundation level.
The longer a board you lay down, the more one end will have to be elevated. This creates instability, as well as difficulty in reaching the top of the stack.

If you can acquire some pallets, you only have to level across 4 to 4 1/2 feet of ground. It may be that the "high" end of one pallet can rest on the "low" edge of the previous one, if you start laying them from the low end of your yard.

4 pallets long is 16 ft long . 2 of the pallets are complete stacked wood. 2 of the pallets are half stacked as the other half is the end columns. Each row is 4 ft. high. Each row is 1 1/2 cords. [ not counting the end columns ] There's two rows of stacked wood on the pallets which makes for 3 cords [ again not counting the end columns ] .

Attachments

• 16 cords 1.jpg
    16 cords 1.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 169
4 pallets long is 16 ft long . 2 of the pallets are complete stacked wood. 2 of the pallets are half stacked as the other half is the end columns. Each row is 4 ft. high. Each row is 1 1/2 cords. [ not counting the end columns ] There's two rows of stacked wood on the pallets which makes for 3 cords [ again not counting the end columns ] .
very, very nice looking stacks.

Wouldn't you say your stacks are closer to 2 cords each @hawkeye4771 ? Assuming 18" splits, 16x3x5' high is 240 sf. One cord is 128 sf.

Looks good! Also, looks like you are keeping your cribbed ends in place, and just replacing the middle. That's a good idea, less time consuming work, and the ends will be there should you ever need them, and well seasoned.

not the best pic but it was the only one on my phone. I stack on cinderblocks with 2x4 on edge on the bottom. cut 5' from 2x4 and put into block to hold ends. Small trees get cut and stacked mid-rack across the rows to keep everything upright

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 120
Wouldn't you say your stacks are closer to 2 cords each @hawkeye4771 ? Assuming 18" splits, 16x3x5' high is 240 sf. One cord is 128 sf.
Counting the end columns ,yes it'd be close to 2 face cords in each row. 2 rows on the pallets makes 4 cords. I try not to burn any of the end columns if I can help it to utilize them for stacking from year to year.