Stacking done Today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Decided I would stack two f/c of Cherry then what I had of one year old Beech, I'll finish off the Beech with some Cherry I have hanging around.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0808.jpg
    100_0808.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 752
  • 100_0809.jpg
    100_0809.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 727
I have to ask, do you have help with your cutting and stacking? I wish I had the open land like you do where I could stack. I put mine along my my drive way and fenced yard that I had when my ex fiancée had her dogs here.

I do have a wood shed, but doesn't hold the wood you have.:)

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I have to ask, do you have help with your cutting and stacking? I wish I had the open land like you do where I could stack. I put mine along my my drive way and fenced yard that I had when my ex fiancée had her dogs here.

I do have a wood shed, but doesn't hold the wood you have.:)

Shipper

I do all the cutting and splitting, so far this year I have done all the stacking (last year my wife helped). I'm lucky to have enough area that I can get 40+ face cord stacked around the house plus this year I'm making some room back in the area that I cut (downed trees only) for another 20 face cord.

Zap

Nice stacks Zap. I like the different shades of seasoning wood.

ohio woodburner said:
Nice stacks Zap. I like the different shades of seasoning wood.

Thanks ohio woodburner, the Beech should have been stacked last fall but it will be ready for this heating season.

zap

:coolgrin:
wood spliter said:
Was the beech tough to spit? Nice stacks!

Hi Spliter;

The beech had been down for a while and was easy to split. I did cut some beech about a month ago which made the 20 ton splitter groan a little, but nothing compared to the hard maple I split two years ago that really made the 24 ton work on those big rounds.

Zap

wood spliter said:
Everything makes my arm and hammer scream. LOL. How do you guys put the smiley faces in?

When you are replying does it say Smiley Etc. to the left, if it does just click on it then make sure you have the cursor in the spot that you want the smiley then click on the smiley.

zap

Damn you make some pretty stacks, I need to post some pics of my racks just to show the difference between a scrounger and a harvester :-O Mine are ugly compared to those :p

ChrisNJ said:
Damn you make some pretty stacks, I need to post some pics of my racks just to show the difference between a scrounger and a harvester :-O Mine are ugly compared to those :p

Thanks ChrisNJ, it's all about the btu's once dry.

Zap

zapny said:
:coolgrin:
wood spliter said:
Was the beech tough to spit? Nice stacks!

Hi Spliter;

The beech had been down for a while and was easy to split. I did cut some beech about a month ago which made the 20 ton splitter groan a little, but nothing compared to the hard maple I split two years ago that really made the 24 ton work on those big rounds.

Zap

Zap, beech will always split better if you stay away from the heart, even with the hydraulics. Take wedges off the sides and leave the heart square.

Throw some elm thru the splitter. Thats the only thing that makes my spee co moan a little and hit the second stage. Nice stacks!!!

ChrisNJ said:

Well I'm not a scrounger . . . my wood is cut down, bucked up and split . . . and I can tell ya I process some mighty ugly looking wood and my stacks aren't all nice and pretty-like . . . but then again my goal is not to win the Wood Stack Beauty Contest . . . my goal is to heat my house effectively and efficiently for less than what it would cost to heat with oil and be a little more independent from foreign oil.

firefighterjake said:
ChrisNJ said:

Well I'm not a scrounger . . . my wood is cut down, bucked up and split . . . and I can tell ya I process some mighty ugly looking wood and my stacks aren't all nice and pretty-like . . . but then again my goal is not to win the Wood Stack Beauty Contest . . . my goal is to heat my house effectively and efficiently for less than what it would cost to heat with oil and be a little more independent from foreign oil.

I agree with you on the goal but I need a picture of a ugly wood stack! :coolsmile:

zap

zapny said:
firefighterjake said:
ChrisNJ said:

I agree with you on the goal but I need a picture of a ugly wood stack! :coolsmile:

zap

Firefighterjake every time I pick up a piece of free wood I feel as though I am giving my propane dealer a good kick in the ass, just got through my first year without turning on the heater a single time :)

I will take some pics tonight after work and get em on here Zap, they are actually a bit comical,compared to yours.

ChrisNJ said:
zapny said:
firefighterjake said:
ChrisNJ said:

zap

Firefighterjake every time I pick up a piece of free wood I feel as though I am giving my propane dealer a good kick in the ass, just got through my first year without turning on the heater a single time :)

I will take some pics tonight after work and get em on here Zap, they are actually a bit comical,compared to yours.

Chris that (pictures) was for firefighterjake but thats good.

zap

zapny said:
firefighterjake said:
ChrisNJ said:

zap

HehHeh . . . I'll try to take some pics of the wood I've got drying out front . . . as it leans this way and that way . . . kindof like the Leaning Tower of Pisa . . . only in a woodpile stack . . . somehow it seems to defy gravity . . . at least so far.

I've also got to take a picture of my Yuppie Wood Hauler too . . . a wood trailer equipped with Saab tires/wheels . . . so it will give me a good excuse to fire up the camera and take some pics.

firefighterjake said:
ChrisNJ said:

Come on now, Jake. We've all seen your woodshed.

ChrisNJ said:
Zap's stacks are exceptional!

Thanks for the compliment to us harvesters! I'm a harvester too. Ha ha!
IMG_7691%20(800x600).jpg

quads said:
I'm a harvester too. Ha ha!
Me thinks you angled the camera for dramatic effect.

My outdoor stacks I plumb by eye but in my woodshed, I hang a plumb bob.

PapaDave said:
firefighterjake said:
ChrisNJ said:

Come on now, Jake. We've all seen your woodshed.

Well now . . . I'm not talking about the stacks in my woodshed . . . those aren't too bad . . . although a few weeks back one toppled over in the morning . . . heard it all the way in the house.

I'm talking about my drying stacks outside that look as if I was drunk when I was stacking them as they weave back and forth and look as though they're about to topple over at any moment.

LLigetfa said:
quads said:
I'm a harvester too. Ha ha!
Me thinks you angled the camera for dramatic effect.

My outdoor stacks I plumb by eye but in my woodshed, I hang a plumb bob.
Well...the camera might have been tipped just a little! But no matter how you level that picture, those stacks (I prefer to call them stacked piles, or maybe piled stacks) are still a tiny bit crooked!

Hey Everyone,
I've seen threads dedicated strictly to pictures of wood stoves and inserts, how about a thread that's dedicated to just stacking? I know I enjoy looking at perfectly placed stacks of wood, it seems a whole thread would be kinda neat. I'd post my own, but being a newbie my stacks don't really compare to some of the others I've seen.
However, seeing a whole thread full of perfect or near perfect stacks might inspire me and a few others to be a bit neater in our stacking techniques.
Just a thought.

I gotta ask what did u use o the ends of the stacks for support and how did u put them in the ground. I'm looking to something similar this fall. No more wall making for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.