Stacking in the shed right after cutting .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Exactly.

I didn't spend all this time and money to build an air shed; I built it to store wood. So I'm gong to store as much of it that I can. So what if it takes a year or two longer to dry; what I'm putting up now won't be needed for +3 years if not +5 years.

I stored about 3 cords of fresh cut soft maple inside one of my out buildings once.
The building is about 900 sq ft, concrete floor, insulated 2 x 4 walls.
After about 3 months almost all the wood had some mold on it except for some of the last stuff I stacked in there.
The last stuff I stacked it pretty open.
I had no room outside under my wood bins so I wanted it out of the rain.
I eventually moved it to my wood bins. This stopped the mold growth and allowed it to dry.

Keep an eye on your wood. If your getting mold get more air flow.

My grandfather used to heat his home with a wood furnace in the basement of his large farm house and also did all cooking the year around on a large wood stove, over 4 feet long. Living in Quebec with severe winters and lousy home insulation he had an attached wood shed that held about 30 full cords of wood. Heck everyone except guests entered and left the house through that wood shed. In fall it would be near full and by the last load of heat in the spring it would be getting quite low on wood. When it comes to seasoning wood we all knew that he had lots of single row stacks all over the homestead site. Even with all that space in the shed all wood got seasoned in stacks, not in his huge wood shed. I know he never saw a moisture meter or heard of a 3 year plan but he did understand that only dry wood burned well so he used single row stacks maybe 6 feet tall to season his wood. He always had it put up on saplings, not pallets, and the ends were finished off with 2 saplings jammed into the ground at each end of a stack. I never saw a cover on his stacks but did spend some "quality time" helping him bring rounds to his home site from being cut and stacked in the woodlot. He needed a young and eager set of hands to load his tractor drawn wagon for the trip back to the homesite. My conclusion from watching a successful wood burner is you season the wood before you bring it into the wood shed.

That is some priceless information Oldman47. I have wood to cut, but am out of places to store it. It never occurred to me to season it in the woods on saplings. Did he cover the top with anything?