Stacking on pallets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually a reflection from my back diagonal neighbor's greenhouse. My stacks are 48" off the property edge.

Who do you think you're kidding Poindexter? I know North Pole is nearby . . . and who lives at the North Pole . . . Santa, right? ;)

A typical pallet is 40" x 48". I cut my wood to 20" long and stack two rows so that the splits are parallel to the 48" side. That gives me 8" between rows. I stack 4' high and that gives me 44 cubic feet on every pallet, or about 1/3 of a full cord.

This is an excellent rule of thumb and easy to remember.

007.jpg
008.jpg

Since I took the pic I finished the second stack. So I'm guessing I have about one and 1/3 cords stacked across four pallets with a foot wide gap between stacks. Previous years, I just tightly triple stacked with no space between rows, so this should accelerated the seasoning process. Next, I'm going to start a single stack on my smaller pallets. Really appreciate this thread! I've learned a lot.

Reactions: j7art2
Status
Not open for further replies.