1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stacking Questions...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by PSYS, Oct 3, 2013.

1. PSYS

PSYS Member

Loc:
    WISCONSIN
    Thanks!

Do you think I should re-stack this bark down...? I've not heard of this before, but would be willing to do what's needed to continue keeping it on the drying process.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DaveGunter

DaveGunter Member

Loc:
    coastal maine
    No, I would not bother to restack, time, wind, sun, and top cover are most important, in that order.
  3. AnalogKid

AnalogKid Member

Loc:
    CT
    Bark up is also good if you cant get it covered right away anyway. The bark prevents moisture from soaking in the wood.
  4. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Several woods will dry in one long summer in your area, not sure what trees you have available but Silver Maple, Cherry, Green Ash, are three that come to mind for my area, White Ash is a little more dense so not sure one summer will do that so much but low in moisture content on the stump so might work fine in one summer. I think some one mentioned smaller splits help a lot plus shorter pieces (12 vs 18 inches) can make a difference also.