Stacking Shorter Pieces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
This year I've got a lot of wood that's shorter and more irregular (often 8 inches long or less). I'm not looking forward to stacking it. Anyone got any clever solutions for this problem?

Build a Holz Miete (most folks call them by the Americanized version -- Holtz Hausen or some variation) . . . toss the chunks into the middle along with the punks and uglies.

Other alternatives . . . toss them on top of your regular stacks . . . toss them aside for burning in the Spring/Fall when you don't need to load your firebox chocker blocker full . . . I believe I've seen at least one member make a "crate" for storing their chunks out of pallets.

We burn those in spring or fall when not so much heat is needed. I will also use some for throwing on top of the wood covering (galvanized steel roofing) to help hold them down during windy days. You can also build a big crate to just throw them in. On the other hand, I also put some right in with the regular wood when stacking. A piece here and there will pose no stacking problems.

Stack 2 6" pieces where you would put 1 16" piece. Always place the one with the largest diameter on the side you don't want stack to fall.

Matt

The first stuff I burn every Fall is my stash of odd chunks & uglies that gets tossed into a pile.Everything from short end-cuts,off-cuts/scrap from the bandsaw too big to shove in 30 gallon metal trash can,stump/roots/knotty stubs,slab cuts.Pretty much anything thats not uniform shape and/or less than a foot long.Stuff thats too hard to stack basically.

Smaller bits can easily be placed into stacks with some larger ones, interlocking them all a bit like drystone walling (we get a lot of that round here having so much Purbeck Stone on the hills opposite us).

Just make sure there is still plenty of airflow around to help with the seasoning.

This design might be a bit ambitious a a first attempt, but it shows the value of interlocking:

http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/517368/craft-of-drystone-walling/

I just made a box out of pallets. 5 total-one for the floor and 4 for the sides. Screwed them together. I cut the front one in half so I could reach into it. I just toss them in there and cover it with a small tarp. When we are home for the weekend on in the shoulder season, I use them up. Works great for me. I can get you a pic if you want.

I do 2 rows on a pallet leaving space in between for shorts and uglies. I just toss them in there between the two stacks. Plenty of air and sun - they get done just fine. Plus I don't have to stack them.

I double up the minis when I can to make a regular split...and also add them across the stack up on top. The top of all my stacks have the little guys. When bringing them into the garage, I try to use two for a regular size piece but when they are really small toss them into a garbage pail. I bring that into the garage next to the stacks and every time I go out there, I grab a couple and toss them into the stove. This far it has worked for me. That said, I have 10 plus cords out there to distribute the little ones across. But at the beginning of the season, when the stacks are dry, I make a point of using the odd pieces as much as possible. Wife hates them - but they are btus..so they do not go to waste in my house.

BTW - basswidow...I did exactly what you mention the first couple years...but my stacks are under big oaks and with those little ones in there, I had an accumulation of leaves that got wet and ended up with a massive wet blanket of stuff in between but stacks. The little ones never dried out, and I was adding moisture to the stack...

My longest splits go on the bottom of the stack, shortest go on top. I'm not a stickler for uniformity so my stacks are like little pyramids.

I just stack a seperate row for shorts.

I stack them on top along with the irregular pieces and smaller rounds. I want the more regular shaped splits as the foundation.

MarkinNC said:
I stack them on top along with the irregular pieces and smaller rounds. I want the more regular shaped splits as the foundation.
+1

If I am stacking on pallets, I stack one row of full size pieces (16" or whatever) on each side of the pallet with a gap in the middle big enough to accommodate all of the smaller length pieces, chunks, and so forth. Cover the top and it's good to go for seasoning or storage.

more importantly, why do you have so many short pieces? (please...no smart a$$ posts about why he only has short wood)

If I can not use two in place of a regular piece like Matt pointed out, they go on top. I too burn them first during the shoulder season. But they are a pain to stack in the garage. I do the same inside that I do outside - double up or lay them on top. For real small or whacky ones...they go in a wheelbarrel which gets rolled into the garage. So long as it doesn't rain, in the shoulder season I will just keep filling the wheelbarrel with the little ones and use them for as long as possible. Once the bad weather sets it...I have most of the little seasoned ones burned.

Thanks for the tips!

yooperdave said:
more importantly, why do you have so many short pieces? (please...no smart a$$ posts about why he only has short wood)

Partly because the guy who splits the wood* is lazy, and cuts them shorter so they'll be easier to split. Partly because the wood I scrounge is sometimes shorter pieces.

*that would be me.

WarmGuy said:
Partly because the wood I scrounge is sometimes shorter pieces.

I get a lot of that scrounging as well. They get tossed in a pile and then in the stove.

Attachments

• 042310chunks.jpg
    042310chunks.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 242
I only had shorts for a while. short enough a shovel would have been more efficent then using my hands. I actually moved them (I just love how a load of them burns) when I got better wood. I did somewhat of the pallet box, except I couldnt afford to waste pallets as thats what I stack my wood on. But because I stack two rows deep, I left a 'pocket' or a quarter of an area free, two half pallets made up walls and dumped wheel barrow loads till it was over filling.

Short of blowing through chains I may just cut all of my wood short for N/S burning and the like.

So if you still cant figure it out after all these good ideas. you could always give them to me...

Got some interesting ideas from this interchange. Right now I build a separate row (usually in front) for the shorts, but I may change my stacking procedure. I do like to keep them separate for building N/S in the stove.

If you have enough longer pieces, stack them so it makes a box and toss them in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.